Earth straps attachment of....

Got to fit new negative from chassis to battery, but I have moved the battery from one side of the car to the other so am going to put a new earth on, do any of you use any electrical jointing compound or anything like it to help with the earth contact or do you just screw it straight to the chassis with something to stop the joint rusting? The old ones were quite corroded when I took them off ages ago and everything is nice a clean and shiny now so I want it to stay that way, I will have to clean off the powder coating on the chassis to get the earth but I want the best electrical contact possible with no further corrosion. All ideas gratefully received.

Hi James,

If you have copper straps connected too the chassis I use stainless fixings which seem to keep them clean. You do get the copper going green which is exposed to the air but the surface contact areas remain fairly corrosion free. You could apply some white silicon grease once connected. Never had any earth issues in 25 years so seems to work.
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

Thanks Jon, I will need to use a mild steel fixing to the chassis as I need to self tap into it, have some hex head self tapping m8 coach screws, was planning to use those. Guess I could get a couple of stainless ones and tap the hole with the mild steel then swap them for the stainless.

Or possibly, don't use the chassis for earth at all; it's a terrible idea but does require a loom change to get around it. Just a thought.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

I had thought about that but then I looked at the old loom and all its earth points and realised the added loom complexity was more agro than I needed. The old earths never caused me a problem, but they had corroded and probably would have done at some point. I think I will just smother them in silicon grease as Jon suggests.

Vaseline or copper grease works a treat.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

The earth on my car was a bit of threaded rod screwed all the way through the chassis rail and I welded it on the bottom before painting the weld. Worked perfectly with a nice conveniently placed stud to bolt the earth strap from the battery.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Yes, I had thought of using copper grease as where its clamped by the fixing the copper particles must also help with conductivity, will do that.

Tinka, yes thats what I should have done but I have changed SO much on the car that I was not sure where I wanted all these things so did not do it, a mistake really as the worst that I would have got wrong was wanting the battery on the other side of the car which is what has happened and all that would have meant was an extra 18" of cable! I have done it with a 16 gauge hex head self tapping coach screw and it did up pretty damn tight so I think all will be well.