Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Offset Steering wheel.

Hi
    Looking for more jobs in lockdown so I thought I would tackle my wonky steering wheel. I have a GD with a motolita Woodrim steering wheel. Ever since I fitted it, it doesn't sit straight. Driving in a straight line the wheel is slightly turned to the left. The car drives in a straight line without any problem. If I take the wheel off the spline and try to adjust it to the right, it is to far.
    This doesn't effect the handling at all, it just bugs me!!
    Any thoughts
    Martin

GD427 Mk4. Chassis No J0258

Ford 347ci Stroker - AFR 185 heads - Holley 670 - KB Pistons - Lunati "Voodoo" 272/280 Cam - 451 bhp/441 lbft.

If it is on a spline then yes just rotate it. But worth marking where it is currently before moving it to make sure you have a reference point. I have a Series 1 jag column where the wheel fits on a spline so I set it all the time.
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

A none straight steering wheel bugs the heck out of me on any car so I know what you mean.
    what column do you have? The Jaguar column has quite a fine spline and I’ve always found that sufficient to get the wheel straight, I guess if you are unlucky and have the straight position between 2 splines you could adjust the track rod ends, wind one in a bit and the other out by the same amount to keep the tracking at current setting. I’ve done this on previous cars, can’t remember which now.

Sometimes a spline one way or another doesn't help. It may be too much.

I fixed mine by adjusting one tie-rod end in, and the other out, both by the same number of turns. or the same amount of a turn.

edit: just saw GDCobra mentioned the same thing.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Not 100% sure how to do this, could you explain more please? Its a Vauxhall steering column if I remember (long time since the build!), and a Ford steering rack.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by martin_t View Post
    Not 100% sure how to do this, could you explain more please? Its a Vauxhall steering column if I remember (long time since the build!), and a Ford steering rack.

Martin

Get the wheel as close to centre as possible on the splines.
    To fine tune with the track rod ends. Get the steering pointing straight ahead (steering wheel in its off centre position). Make sure steering lock is off.
    Lets say for argumens sake the wheel is slightly counter clockwise, this means the wheel needs to rotate clockwise without moving the front hubs, to enable this the RH track rod needs to move into the trackrod end and the LH one needs to move out of its track rod end.
    Undo the locknuts making sure the track rods don't move - Good idea to put a mark on the track rod with a spot of paint or Tip-Ex if you can even get that stuff any more!
    Screw the RH track rod into its end and the LH one out, lets say half a turn to start. The steering wheel should start to move to centre.
    The amount the steering wheel moves initially should give you an idea how far you have to go but probably still a good idea to move each side a little at a time.
    Once you think it's right give the car a road test to confirm. If necessary repeat until correct.

OK thanks for that. Will give it a go!

Cheers

Martin

GD427 Mk4. Chassis No J0258

Ford 347ci Stroker - AFR 185 heads - Holley 670 - KB Pistons - Lunati "Voodoo" 272/280 Cam - 451 bhp/441 lbft.

As said ,
    lock the wheel in a straight position.
    Then set the toe in /out.
    That's how it's done in the tyre places.
    I have the same issue on my Range Rover it bugs the hell out of me.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

If you take the car to any garage to get the tracking checked then they will normally sort this out for you when the do the tracking as long as it is not too far out.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

That sounds like a good idea Martin. It's due MOT so might kill two
    Birds etc etc, once I dare go out!!

Cheers

Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast