Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

gas bonnet struts

a up all, (east midland language), opened bonnet today but came straight back down, been on for 11 years no problem , which way round do they go body at bottom piston pointing up or vice versa, i know the answer but how are your`s fitted?, Pete, bored

Received wisdom was "with the oil sitting against the seal when in their most-often used position", so piston-rod end pointing "down". Bit difficult as the bonnet is damn near flat so I've fitted mine with the piston rod toward the front of the car, which makes them angled ever so slightly downhill with the bonnet closed.

Still strongly considering changing them for a latching stay like this: https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/bonnet...ay-large-300mm
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Replaced my Dax gas struts about 10 years ago with RS stainless ones . They are screw vented so you release the pressure until required setting. Still great pressure.

I have latching stays on my Sumo, they're OK even if take a bit of getting used to.

Pilgrim list those a little over half the price of CBS by the way

Quote Originally Posted by dgosumo View Post
    I have latching stays on my Sumo, they're OK even if take a bit of getting used to.

Pilgrim list those a little over half the price of CBS by the way
    They are out of stock at Pilgrim. I notice that since covid so much is out of stock from all suppliers.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    They are out of stock at Pilgrim. I notice that since covid so much is out of stock from all suppliers.
    I've been searching for a supplier of alternators .. found one I wanted, called Real Steel to get a recorded message that said something along the lines of "Due to the pandemic, the staffing for January 5th through 11th inclusive is 10:30am to 4:30pm, closed 12:30 to 1:30 for lunch, shipping every other day"

Except it's February 4th now..

Still, our wedding venue just replied to an email we sent them in December (they're in the hands of the administrators) and implied we won't hear from them until June. The wedding was meant to be in September. Sorry, totally unrelated rant.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Think mine were second hand of a Ford Fiesta and still going strong a couple of decades on. Originally had one either side but had to remove the offside one to make space for the MAF when I converted to EFi, one side holds up just fine.
    I set them up so they go over centre and start to extend again when closing this means they are actually holding the bonnet closed rather than trying to open it - Hope that makes sense.

Aaron,

Supply chains of good seem to be in disarray. Looking at the channel crossing for parts from Europe the government have brought in a comapny to help out the back log.

Just had an email for a quote from the USA and he says there suppliers have increased there prices due to the pandemic so passing it onto the customers as companies can only do to keep in business.
    The price increase is 50% ! So that pipe dream is now canned.

I think U.K. manufacturers and suppliers will look inside the U.K. for suppliers.

Hope you have not lost any money with the wedding company. I friend has moved her wedding dates twice so far now in August 21. New invitations sent and all the rebooking that goes with it. Good luck.

Jon

I know people have used

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts

Nice range of struts , black or stainless and sizes plus variable gas level adjustment.

I have used SGS for other items and very good to deal with.

I know people have used

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts

Nice range of struts , black or stainless and sizes plus variable gas level adjustment.

I have used SGS for other items and very good to deal with.
    Plus one for SGS. Very helpful. Offered to re-gass mine if possible for about £25 but in the end my Eibach ones weren’t suitable so supplied a pair of adjustable gas ones for just about £55. 100N for my boot was just about right with no need to release any gas.
    Dek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast