Car trailer plans

I don't know anything about the company but I like the look of this trailer for Cobras. The price includes DXF files for laser cutting so quite a lot of design work saved.

https://fabplans.com/products/air-bag-car-trailer
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Aside from having to find somewhere to store the damn thing (hard enough for my little Erde!) .. don't trailer/caravan chassis have to be type approved these days?

I have seen a video of a bagged car trailer like that though - very neat trick and handy for low cars like ours, for sure!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Yep trailers have go through testing. So building one of those as a one off would need an IVA style test
    Classic Replica Viper IVA passed 25th March 2021

I thought airbags needed to operate in a single plane? Those look like they are forced into an arc to rise the trailer.
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    I thought airbags needed to operate in a single plane? Those look like they are forced into an arc to rise the trailer.
    I'm fairly sure happy Jim is right here, even pillow bags have a limit to the angular miss alignment they can cope with.

If they're bolted in at each end and extend in an arc they could rub and wear prematurely, might be worth a check on that.

I did a bit of reading and Firestone quote up to 30º misalignment and 2" plane misalignment uncompressed but must be 0º and 0" when compressed.. less than ideal but I imagine they'd be OK for the kind of miles the kind of trailer queen that'll live on a trailer like this will do

I don't fancy getting a trailer someone else designed through an IVA test though! Imagine all the sharp edges...
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

£70 for the test and it doesn't look terribly onerous. Nothing like the car test. TBH, if you've built it properly and used a bit of common sense its going to pass.

I built one with a friend a few years back as we both had low ground clearance cars that normal trailer struggle with. We put about £700 into it, inc hot dip galvanising. They end up fairly wide with the wheels out of the side to get the low level. Not sure why you need airbags. They do take a bit of storage, which is why we sold ours. Have regretted it ever since, usual story, you don't realise how much you use it until its gone.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Trailers for Cobra transportation are so last year.

This is what you need for a Cobra hauler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV-2hIDP7kg

Cheers,

Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......