Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Knock-on wheels and IVA

I seem to recall that the spinners fail the IVA on account of being incredibly dangerous to pedestrians.. /s

So I'm thinking I have two choices:
    a) find some knock-on nuts that meet radius requirements or
    b) find three more 15" steel wheels (XJ40 spare wheels) and buy four front tyres (235/60R15) for the IVA

B has some distinct advantages (not worrying about tyre projections, spinners etc) but is more expensive... Especially as steelies go for bloody strong money these days!

Any thoughts? Or anyone sitting on some spare wheels? Or even know where to find the big ol' nuts..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

There must be a way round this. Crendon must have a solution ?
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Go for the steel wheels - easy fitment, and if you want knock-ons deal wth them after the test.
    These any good?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2546375398...8aAni6EALw_wcB

Then just add 4 x 235s from NorthHants tyres.

Keep 2 for the front knock-ons, sell the other 2 - I lost £100 doing that.
    Actually it was less than that as I also sold the Jag front hubs as well, so maybe I lost maybe £50?....I can't actually remember now, but peanuts given the total investment

We can have a chat about exactly how to fit the knock-ons later, but my advice is just get to the IVA test asap, and don't worry about the wheels- it could hold you up another couple of months with some to-ing and fro-ing at the machine shop, bearing press outs etc.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Yes. Crendon does have a solution. We factory fit normal hubs and 5 stud wheels using our own JC5 designed wheel (thanks John Kerr)

If someone wants to fit knock off hubs and centre lock wheels after IVA that is up to them.

I do not want or need the stress, or risk of anything going wrong with them through lack of checking for tightness or incorrect re fitment after a potential puncture or home tinkering.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I seem to recall that the spinners fail the IVA on account of being incredibly dangerous to pedestrians.. /s

So I'm thinking I have two choices:
    a) find some knock-on nuts that meet radius requirements or
    b) find three more 15" steel wheels (XJ40 spare wheels) and buy four front tyres (235/60R15) for the IVA

B has some distinct advantages (not worrying about tyre projections, spinners etc) but is more expensive... Especially as steelies go for bloody strong money these days!

Any thoughts? Or anyone sitting on some spare wheels? Or even know where to find the big ol' nuts..
    Option C - borrow a set of wheels for the test
    Classic Replica Viper IVA passed 25th March 2021

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Go for the steel wheels - easy fitment, and if you want knock-ons deal wth them after the test.
    These any good?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2546375398...8aAni6EALw_wcB

Then just add 4 x 235s from NorthHants tyres.

Keep 2 for the front knock-ons, sell the other 2 - I lost £100 doing that.
    Actually it was less than that as I also sold the Jag front hubs as well, so maybe I lost maybe £50?....I can't actually remember now, but peanuts given the total investment
    That was somewhat my thought - aside from having to find (or borrow, as Kuga says below) some wheels The ones on eBay are a bargain - the only thing I don't know is if the 15" alloys of era will fit over the brakes, while I know for sure the steel spare does. Logic says they should as I'm not actually using the XJ12 (larger) calipers..

We can have a chat about exactly how to fit the knock-ons later, but my advice is just get to the IVA test asap, and don't worry about the wheels- it could hold you up another couple of months with some to-ing and fro-ing at the machine shop, bearing press outs etc.
    There's no bearing messing for me! XJ40 hubs front & rear means my options are the bolt-on convertors (as in the rears) or .. the bolt on convertors I'm just going down the road that t'other Kevin did which means zero dish on the fronts (sadly) - at least in the short term. I've been meaning to draw the hubs (both sets) up and look into manufacturing a replacement hub for the XJ40 spindles & bearings for ages..

Quote Originally Posted by Chimeara View Post
    Yes. Crendon does have a solution. We factory fit normal hubs and 5 stud wheels using our own JC5 designed wheel (thanks John Kerr)

If someone wants to fit knock off hubs and centre lock wheels after IVA that is up to them.

I do not want or need the stress, or risk of anything going wrong with them through lack of checking for tightness or incorrect re fitment after a potential puncture or home tinkering.
    Corks, Anthony .. it's like hearing the voice of JK (Actually I did hear the voice of JK recently as we had a chat on the phone, which was nice!) I was going to say that you must hate the idea of the Porsche centre-lock wheels then, but then I remembered.. you can only get those removed & re-fitted at a dealer!

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    Option C - borrow a set of wheels for the test
    That's also an option .. I wonder if David or Dek would notice their wheels going missing temporarily
    My DeDion build diary..

"Bence" is trying to lose a set right now.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

I saw that - I've dropped him a PM
    My DeDion build diary..

I thought Simon had a loan set of radiused nuts that people used for IVA?
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    I thought Simon had a loan set of radiused nuts that people used for IVA?
    I was keeping that quiet....you've just added another 6 months on to his build schedule
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast