Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring

Wiring

Having started wiring up my AK kit I have a white and red wire which connects up to the + of the voltage stabiliser, this white and red comes out of the loom, the question is where does it get its 12 volt feed from.
    If i put a probe on the red and white wire and to earth then i get a signal, surely this cant be right.
    May need to talk to AK.

You will get continuity from many cables and wires irrespective as to whether they are connected directly to earth or not. If they are not earth cables and you are getting continuity then that will be coming from the completed circuit between the earth and the item, ie, a motor, relay, pump etc.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Best to try and get hold of the wiring diagram which will save you a lot of pain.

1. Yellow = + 12 Vdc + battery

2. White = Field terminal - Alternator

3. Ignition Switched +12 v - Red/green

4. Earth to chassis( Body of the metal can .

Check there is a zero resistance for a good earth from the voltage regulator outer case to the earth point/ chassis.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Thanks
    I have AK,S wiring schematics and instructions but there are a few grey areas that need clarification, of course not all builds are the same what with extras etc. What i have done is create my own wiring diagram from the information i have so now its a case of working through the loom and dash wiring to see if all is correct.

Wiring is a real pain and brain drain unless your are completely au fait with electrics.
    I’ve been doing some of it myself this weekend. Transferring the switches from Sierra stalks to rotary switches and hazard lights button. There is a lot more to it than one thinks. I’ve been successful so far but I am no electrician and it’s a battle. But now I have working hazard lights complete with dashboard warning light. A stand alone horn push switch. And all my lights on a rotary switch with a push button flash on the same switch. And indicators using a VW Beetle stalk.
    The hazard lights took loads of thinking about plus lots of Googling.
    For the information to people wanting to a similar job, I found a Dax wiring diagram on Google which has been my bible, plus the loom installation instructions which JK Sportscars very kindly sent to me FOC.
    The hazard lights wiring is more complicated than you would think using the Durite switch but a basic wiring diagram for this was found on the Locost website as they also use the Sierra based wiring loom.
    The the info is out there, you just need tap into it.
    Next weekend I’ll tackle the windscreen wipers and washers.

Hmm! Just read my version of Pride and Prejudice above, didn’t mean to hijack the thread. Sorry!
    Last edited by Darnpistonbroke; 21-02-21 at 07:12 PM.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

You are right, it can be a nightmare, what I like to do is create a test run using low voltage and prove the circuit before applying full voltage, it’s just pure logic really and there are plenty of circuit examples on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post

The hazard lights wiring is more complicated than you would think using the Durite switch
    I made up my own wiring diagrams.......to keep things simple for this auld timer.

Yes, that’s the way to go, there are free drawing software to download and use to sketch up your schematics, also it’s good to keep a record of what you have done if you ever need to make modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by methoni View Post
    Yes, that’s the way to go, there are free drawing software to download and use to sketch up your schematics, also it’s good to keep a record of what you have done if you ever need to make modifications.
    That's what I have done with my old SR wiring diagrams when adding
    things like electric fans to cool the radiator .
    It helps me a lot if a fault occurres, especially now, as have admitted that I
    have started to get older !
    If you need a Southern Roadcraft wiring diagram, just let me know if of any use.
    Chris.

Thanks Chris
    I have all the diagrams and instructions from AK and i purchased the loom from them as well, i suspect that different kits have different schematics so i doubt whether this would help, its just a case of finding out what should be live when connecting the battery and what is not, fuses will blow if there is a problem, its better than burning out relays etc.
    I have created a wiring diagram , cad created, that was my profession until i retired but i was mechanically orientated rather than electrical and although i know the basic principles of automotive wiring its always a bit of a learning curve but i,ll get there in the end.
    Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast