Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing point

Towing point

I am about to strip my car for spraying and it has got me thinking about how I am going to winch it onto the trailer to take it there. My car is an SRV8 but Im sure others must have the same problem, there is nothing obvious to secure to !
    The body sits very low on the nose, especially the oil cooler cowl etc. I am struggling to think what to strap to or even what to mount a bracket to.
    Thinking further ahead it would be even worse if I broke down and some recovery clown trashes by bodywork.
    I would be interested to know what others have done ?
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

In and out of the garage I've been using a strap around the lower front wishbone - comes out under the bodywork.

I've also been pondering something more permanent though, and it's definitely not an easy one! Haven't quite sussed it yet..

Front wishbone with an old jumper wrapped around the rope where it gets close to the body, was good enough for getting on a trailer a couple of times, once was roadside recovery who were very very careful and did a good job

I used a short tow rope like this
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/ring-3-5-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

looped around the lower front wishbone, then out of the brake vent hole at the front back in the other one and back round the other wishbone.
    Easy to just hook on the tow hook onto the resulting rope loop, and it clears all the bodywork, or just looped under the front skirt. Used this trick on a Crendon and a Sumo loading onto trailer and flatbeds. I think I put a tea towel round the rope when the Sumo was painted to protect the paint from rubbing.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Thanks all. My concern is my lower wishbones dont seem any lower than my bodywork and feeding through the brake vents just seems scary to have any hope of it not pushing on the bodywork. I have been looking where I could attach a bracket that could poke through but not seeing much to pick up from.
    The only other thing I have spotted is the spare bolt holes on the bottom of the lower wishbones so Im thinking maybe I could make a plate to bolt onto those ?
    Not sure what the thread is but will check.

Thanks all!
    Paul

The support rods on my quick jacks bolt straight onto the chassis and are pretty beefy (mine is a Unique Autocraft). Could you not just put a rope through/behind the quick jack? I wouldn't tow it using this mention, but getting on an off a trailer ought to be ok. I see you've just added some quick jacks so will know their strength (on your car) inside out. Perhaps you've discounted as not solid enough - and don't want to risk it.
    Phil

Actually looking at your pictures, I don't think you've got the space to put anything behind your quick jacks (on the front at least) . . . and perhaps not as beefy as mine.

I am probably being overly fussy but I dont trust the front frame on my car, it is just round bar bolted to the chassis and I really dont want a disaster at this stage ! Same with the quick lifts, you can pull them side to side where things flex and I am not going to strain the fibreglass.
    I think bolting straps to the bottom of my wishbones with a bit of a drop on them is going to be the safest solution. Will post if I come up with something
    Paul

Tried out my idea today and it certainly is going to work to get the car pulled onto a trailer without pulling on the body

20210313_124606.jpg
    20210313_124559.jpg
    Paul

A lot easier to tow from the rear first... but for trailer balance purposes that would only work if you don't have the engine in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast