Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Russell's AK Gen3 Build log

Inspired by Aarons build thread I thought I'd start my own.

I've been building since 2016 and have just about finished the rolling chassis, so not exactly speedy I might go back and document some of the other unusual parts of the build (like the fuel tank) latter but for now I'm going to start with the exhaust system. As you may have seen in some of my previous posts I've decided to design and build my own side pipes. Complete madness I hear you say, yes it probably is, but I wanted a particular style of 4 into 1 merge (not sure what it's actually called) so I modelled it up in Fusion 360 and 3d printed a few prototypes.

Previously I'd roughly cut the bends for the 4 into 1 pipes

and milled the required features on them

Then they where tacked together followed by the cutting/tacking of the various bends
    Attached Images Attached Images

Once I was happy with the fit I broke the tacks between the 4 pipes and set about welding the sections up.

I spent most of today, grinding and polishing

Next job is to make the 4 3" pipes but I've run out of time for today.
    Last edited by RussellGower; 10-03-21 at 06:23 PM.

Just wow!!
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

*quietly packs up his TIG welder and sends it back to R-Tech*

Yep, that puts anything I've ever put together to shame!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

That looks incredible.

Nice art work. Polishing out the welds takes time and makes all the difference.
    A linisher makes easier work of the joints I have found with stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Nice art work. Polishing out the welds takes time and makes all the difference.
    A linisher makes easier work of the joints I have found with stainless.
    Yes I built a linisher last summer with this project in mind, but in hind sight the type that loop over the pipe would have been better.

Not made much progress of late but managed to get a bit done over the weekend.

I had to wait for some end mills to be delivered but I've now finished machining the "crowns"

Just need to cut off the support pieces with the angle grinder and I can start to assemble the collectors.

I also brought myself a new micro tig torch so that I can weld the inside pieces, spent yesterday evening making a tool to help cut the tungsten to length (27mm!) and this evening cutting and sharpening them, I have this nasty habit of dipping them in the weld pool so I suspect there will be at least one more batch needed

with a bit of luck I should get some time out in the workshop over the long weekend.

I didin't take any photos of the assembly but both collectors are now assembled, the micro torch made welding up the inside to the pipe much easier that I expected.

Purging the insides whilst welding the outsides was easy I just used a combination of silicon bungs, but I had to get creative to keep an inert atmosphere on the outside whilst I welded the insides, the solution was a piece of aluminium plate a 3d printed flange and a large plastic bag!

I used a small electric vacuum pump to evacuate as much air as I could then I inflated the bag with argon.

To save a bit of time I brought some pre-made 1.75" 4 into 1's and a a reducer ring to bring the 2.25" unto the 3" v-band, at the moment I've just tacked up the nearside

The O2 boss is just sat on top at the moment, but it looks like there will be enough space for it. I now need to decide if it's best to keep it all flat as it is now or add small bend before the v flange so that I can have the pipes exiting the body on a downward angle. If I do that then I will probably have to shorten something so that I can get the pipes up to the exhaust flange on the engine.

I've also added a hydraulic down feed control to the horizontal bandsaw which I hope will make it much easier to cut the 4" outer pipe without it continuously snagging and throwing the blade like it did on the 3" pipe.

I think I've reached the point where I need to take a couple of brave pills and cut out the exit holes in the body, I'd appreciate any pearls of wisdom the group has in the regard.

I'll be fitting the exhausts first and then fabricating the headers to match so not quite sure how to go about deciding where to make the holes and what shape to make them, should it be 4 overlapping circles or just a square with rounded corners, should I leave the bottom piece in or cut it out etc?

The body is currently loosely say on the chassis so I guess I could just do it all by eye but I'd prefer a more scientific approach

Thanks in advance
    Russell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast