Thread: Ak Horn

Ak Horn

Having a problem getting my horn to work, using Moto Lita horn push checked all the cables etc still not working.
    Any ideas.

Cheers

Try earthing out the brass ring and try it again, if working then the little black plastic spring loaded rod is not making contact with the ring. I had to give the rod a little help to stay in contact. BMW column.
    I used a little piece of bike inner tube rubber.
    Baz

I had similar issue shortly after I bought mine. Not sure if the all AK's have it but mine seems to be connected to positive at the alternator from memory and has a crappy inline twist together fuse holder that regularly comes undone. Worth checking the connection between the horn push and wheel to make sure its good too.

From memory shorting the wire from back of horn push to wheel should sound the horn if the wiring is ok and you have power. and would indicate it the horn push thats the issue. After that you are probably into tracing wires unless the horn is dud altogether?
    Andy
    Dax- 350 Chevy, Holley Carb - Loads of smiles to the gallon SOLD
    AK- 383 Chevy - Even more smiles to even more gallons

I had the opposite after two years of motoring. The horn suddenly decided to stay on which was quite embarrassing at the time. Pulled off the wires on horn to stop the noise. Taking the column apart there was a handful of the finest brass dust. The pin had been tight on the brass ring and worn it right through, hence making a continual contact. Decided to get rid of it and added a button on the dash. MOT Guy, always asks why the horn does not work until I press the button.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Like Charlie, my spring loaded contact had also worn away ,leaving a small pile of brass dust, but instead of staying on, my horn was dead. The copper contact behind the steering wheel centre push was also disintegrating, so my horn push is now on the dash too , which i find easier to get to in a rush, as its just slightly to the right of the steering wheel .
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Ditto,

My horn was intermittent and instead of going through the hassle of trying to get it sorted and then experiencing Charlie and Pauls problem, I fitted a push button on the dash.
    Best anti speeding device - a rear view mirror with a police car in it.
    A pedestrian - someone who thought there was still a couple of gallons in the tank.
    AK Chassis and body collected 12.12.14