Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Sounds like a great idea to me. And if it was done properly the duty would also include 3rd party liability, as done in some other countries.
    And then all that wasted police/CPS time spent chasing road tax defaulters and cases involving accidents with no insurance disappears.

Much as I've always thought that is a fairer system I don't think that's the way it will go. As we move more to EVs I can see that the whole system will change to a "pay as you go" type of system (possibly/probably with a multiplication/factor based on vehicle type) which will probably mean cars will have to be fitted with a transponder as our government would love that for many other reasons. Whether that will only be applied to new vehicles or require retro-fitting to existing is the only real unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter29 View Post
    I think eligibility is from April 1st after the car's 40th Birthday, so as mine was August they still got 8 months tax out of me...and I still haven't had the form back !

The date of manufacture (in my case at least) is only a year, so so my understanding it will be the April 40 years after the start of that year.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Sounds like a great idea to me. And if it was done properly the duty would also include 3rd party liability, as done in some other countries.
    And then all that wasted police/CPS time spent chasing road tax defaulters and cases involving accidents with no insurance disappears.
    sounds like a good idea in principle but
    1. If it involves addition expense on top of my £0 road tax then no thanks
    2. I suspect that a lot of the road tax defaulters are also mot defaulters, if the road tax and the need to re-tax every year is removed, will the mot defaulters increase. I reckon most people’s mot and tax dates are fairly well aligned so the road tax date acts as a reminder to get the mot done, or is that just me.
    3. If you have no mot I would assume that the fuel tax funded 3rd party insurance would be null and void so money would still be spent chasing those people down

good point to debate though
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

Why are all my posts time stamped 14/15 minutes in advance of real time.

Strange.
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

Quote Originally Posted by RogerKnill View Post
    Why are all my posts time stamped 14/15 minutes in advance of real time.

Strange.
    It is, but tomorrow night, in your warped time zone, look at the winning Euro Lottery numbers and then PM them to me and I'll share the prize money with you!!!!
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Quote Originally Posted by RogerKnill View Post
    yes, I know it’s nor really a win, it’s only the gov applying the rules, but for a little while the £500 refund did give me a feeling of sticking 2 fingers up at the tax man.

you know what they say, simple things please simple minds ������

I’m now waiting for a thread on abolishing road tax and adding it to fuel duty, to which my vote will be NO.
    They will never completely abolish the so called "road tax" because it creates bureaucracy, therefore plenty of b s
    which raises money from tax payers .
    I thought they had already raised the tax on fuel for that reason but they thought it was best to leave the road robbery
    fund in place anyway .
    Its a win win win situation for any government .
    My view is that there will always be this so called road fund.
    Chris.

Mission accomplished V5 came back this morning I'm now on Historic Tax
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Result. I know the feeling is great. After chasing mine and then it got lost. I am sure they were conspiring not to give it to me lol.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910