Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

mot and tax exemption

hi all
    my v5 document says my car is a dax tojeiro first registered on 2/12/1980. does this mean i will be tax and mot exempt as the car is now over 40yrs old even though it is a radically altered vehicle from the jag that it is based on. i built the car in 1996 and retained the donor reg from the jag all of which was done prior to sva/iva
    regards graham

Yes I would assume so !

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles...om-vehicle-tax

"Historic vehicle tax exemption
    You can apply to stop paying for vehicle tax from 1 April 2020 if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1980. You must tax your vehicle even if you do not have to pay."

For MOT exemption

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ption-from-mot

Download V112

States in Kit car no major changes since build for 30 years so 2026 you car will meet both requirements.
    Section for
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

I think it will be tax exempt from 1st April as it was registered in December 1980.

you’ll have to wait for the 30 yrs without mods to get an MOT exemption as has been said previously.

I think the general consensus on this forum is that an MOT is a good thing to ensure the car still conforms to requirements and is fit to use on the road.
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

as my v5 doc says first registered as a dax tojeiro on 2/12/1980 i therefore assume it is tax exempt now

The important date for historic tax is the build date, not the registration date.

if your build date is prior to 1st jan 1980, you should be ok to apply for historic tax now, if it’s after 01.01.1980 I think you have to wait for the April 1st after the year it turned 40.

1st April is only a couple of weeks away but if you can’t wait I would ring the DVLA to verify if you can change it now?

ps. My V5 doesnt have the build date listed, but DVLA has it on their system. You can check it online using the car tax checker on the .gov website, to get the year of manufacture but not the month/day.
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

the date of manufacture and first registered is same(1980) on the dvla car tax checker

As above the change is effective 1 April (thanks to the Government's tax years) the year after 40th anniversary so you have a couple of weeks to go. When I did mine (1977 in my case) a couple of years ago that just needed a visit to the Post Office, have a read here: Link to get your car into the Historic Class. Once done you still have to tax it every year (which you can do online) but the tax is free

You do still need an MOT

why do i still need mot i thought the 40yr rule applied as well

But 30 years from any "significant change":
    Vehicles that do not need an MOT

You do not need to get an MOT if:

• the vehicle was built or first registered more than 40 years ago
    • no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast