Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Hello! Storage ideas...

Hello all,

After a 7 year project my Dax 427 is officially on the road. The registration came through this morning so just the plates to get made up before my first tentative outing in it

I'm over the moon with all of this and can't quite believe it's all done and legal but I now have a question for all regarding storage... For the last 7 years I've had a garage lined up but literally in the last couple of days found it's no longer possible

What would everyone recommend? I have bought a higher-end outdoor cover for easy on-off protection for when it's on the drive and I think I have covered storage lined up for the winter period but can anyone give any tips and advice for the pro's and cons's of keeping my new Cobra on my drive during the spring & summer?

Cheers,

Paul
    7 Years later, now IVA passed and registered - DAX 427, SBC 383 Stroker
    mydaxcobrabuild.wordpress.com

congrats on finished build Paul

re storage, carcoon probably best bet as not touching paintwork like cover would.
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Thanks!

I've looked at the Carcoon's over the years as they've been mentioned in various forums and they do look good.

I guess I have a couple of questions / concerns with them:

1) Are they convenient enough for frequent use? i.e. Would it be practical through the warmer periods where I'd want to use the car?

2) Will the aesthetics pass the wife and neighbours test? (The later group isn't such a concern but it would be nice to keep everyone happy.) We live on an avenue of 1930's houses so it would be essentially stationed right outside our front bay window.

Whilst challenge 2 sounds fairly flippant it's actually pretty important, however, I'd like to hope that if it was the only real viable option I could get it through. I guess I need to work out how big they actually are but I'm now wondering if using a good outdoor cover during the summer season and a car igloo in the winder may be the way to go? I'm also looking at installing a security post so I can "lock" it in place on the drive.

Any other comments, tips or things to think about gratefully received!

Thanks,

Paul.

Do you have the space to build a garage, Paul?

We do have a garage but at the moment it's full of the kids & our bikes, skateboards, my tools and a couple of spare washing machines etc! If it were empty it would be the perfect size for the car!

Originally, I had an underground car park space all secured, but unfortunately, due to a change in family circumstances it's no longer practical and now I'm trying to work something out at the last minute.

We do have a few council garages but the few I've seen seem to be in darkly lit & out of the way places so I feel a little uncomfortable with that idea. I'm going to keep looking though to see if there is anything within walking distance...

It may be I need a short term solution for 6 to 12 months and then whilst we get creative with shed building & clearing the garage. I'm just doubtful that I can get a big enough shed (or enough sheds) as I'm sure our garage is like the Tardis and keeps swallowing all our life's tat.

Cheers,

Paul.

Sounds like you need a ruthless approach to garage clearance and a shed and some clever storage ideas for what's left. When the kids used to ride, our bikes were mounted up the wall with the front wheels in large hooks.

If there's stuff you can't part with but dont use, store that off-site and keep the Cobra at home; you'll get more use out of the car if it's accessible and you will have the peace of mind that it's safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnymathew View Post
    Sounds like you need a ruthless approach to garage clearance and a shed and some clever storage ideas for what's left. When the kids used to ride, our bikes were mounted up the wall with the front wheels in large hooks.

If there's stuff you can't part with but dont use, store that off-site and keep the Cobra at home; you'll get more use out of the car if it's accessible and you will have the peace of mind that it's safe.

That was my thoughts, it will be much easier to find a suitable cover for those washing machines and they'll block much less light from your front window than a Carcoon, no way my Cobra would be staying outside if that was all that was in the garage.

For the first few years I had my car I only had a single garage but had plenty of space for the car, a motorcycle and 2 or three pushbikes plus loads of other 'necessities'

I think a decent shed, and decant what you can't chuck into there to make way for your prize possession.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I think there's some good points that I must admit I've shy'd away from and possibly didn't "want" to tackle.

I've had a lovely Google last night for nice looking bike & bin sheds and there's quite a choice, the ones with sedum roofs look especially good. Looking at the costs of off-site tat storage v's doing it properly with some nice sheds really seems to favour building some structures. (I can't believe some box storage providers try to charge £100+ per month for a really small phone-box type cubicle.)

My new plan of action is to confirm that the car will indeed fit in our single garage when it gets back from Roger Klimcke. (Roger did an absolute superb job of checking my work and correcting bits and bobs where necessary, organising the paint, trimming and transporting it back and forth for IVA). The garage should fit as it was built specifically for the job but has since filled with life's stuff accumulated over the last five years. I need to check that the door frame is wide enough as it's slim due to the land boundary .

So new plan - measure up with fingers crossed, build some nice sheds and get rid of quite a bit of rubbish!

Hopefully it will be inside within a couple of months and in-between I'll use the car cover to protect it from the elements.

Thanks all for pointing out the obvious solution!

Cheers,

Paul.

TBH Paul I'd avoid keeping it outside under a cover, it won't do the car any favours, and even in leafy AL5 might attract the wrong sort of attention. My advice (for what it's worth) is clear the garage pronto. Be ruthless with what's in there. The freecycle website can be utilised when its up and running post-covid to offload things like washing machines. Advertise on facebook or the nextdoor.co.uk website or an ad in the local shop window to see if there's anyone local who'd rent you garage space in the meantime whilst you sort your out. Try a leaflet drop around nearby places where the elderly live - they may not have a car any more and may welcome a few extra quid. Any mates with their own premises who may have a spare bit of indoor space ? Or book it into a garage (or trimmers) for some minor work where you know they have plenty of space and a full diary - they may keep it for months for free that way

One of the reasons I say this is that I assume having spent 7 years on it you'll want to drive it. If you have to drive somewhere to get to it you'll be less inclined to use it which would be a shame. If you have a free half hour or just need to pop out on on a sunny day it's much easier to use the Cobra if it's in you own garage.

NB - you may want to upgrade the security on your garage, better bolts etc.

Enjoy your car, and well done for finishing.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast