Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

clutch/gearbox issues

Hi all,
    Huge issues with my recently restored, 1970 small block Chevy V8 350, and its Muncie M22 four speed manual transmission.......basically, clutch won't disengage properly, esp. at low speed. Makes driving quite interesting! Strangely, when I want to go from 1st to reverse for manoeuvring,say, I have to switch off, engage the gear and start up; you'd think there would be a jerk, but it seems smooth?????Weird. Of course, I've now discovered a badly leaking slave cylinder, which need renewing before I explore anything else.
    So, todays question:- Where do I buy a 3/4" dia. hydraulic slave cylinder??? The (new!!) one that's leaking is a McLeod unit. It is external, traditional, cylinder. HELP!!

George Bazeley
    Pembs

Roadcraft do some decent billet external slaves. But is it only that the slave is not pressing far enough because it is leaking or are there other problems?

There are other issues I'm sure. As I have the transmission tunnel removed for access and visibility, I can see the release arm being moved by the slave rod, and it seems adequate to me - not very scientific I know, just a gut feeling. Decided to replace the slave first before changing anything else! What is meant by a 'billet' slave??
    Cheers,
    George

machined from solid stock, not a cast then machined item.

Loads of cheap slave cylinders on ebay.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

OK. Just been out to look at the cylinder again. The 'oil' that was evident around the rubber push rod seal is not obviously hydraulic fluid - I think it might be some sort of preservative oil applied to the cylinder unit before despatch. Anyway, it's now all cleaned off, and the opportunity taken to extend the push rod a bit. So, when I get my newly repaired radiator back (DON'T FIT KENLOWE ELECTRIC FANS DIRECT TO THE MATRIX WITH PLASTIC FASTENERS - IT BUGGERS THE RAD.), I'll take it for a spin and see what we get......
    George

understood. Didn't get very far with Roadcraft on the phone yesterday; guy didn't really understand what I was on about? The only ones they appear to do are the ones that live inside the bell housing? Any way, it may all be a storm teacup event - see my recent post....where about are you James?
    George

Hi George don't adjust too much play out of your slave cylinder rod.
    You need a few mm of clearance or you will end up with a burned release bearing and a knackered clutch.
    Post a picture of your current installation, so we can see what type of cylinder mounting it is.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Quote Originally Posted by 35yearsGB View Post
    understood. Didn't get very far with Roadcraft on the phone yesterday; guy didn't really understand what I was on about? The only ones they appear to do are the ones that live inside the bell housing? Any way, it may all be a storm teacup event - see my recent post....where about are you James?
    George
    Roadcraft external billet slave cylinder: https://roadcraftuk.co.uk/index.php?...product_id=606
    Make sure you're sitting down when you see the price.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

George, a long way from you! Essex. Aaron has found it, I cant imagine who you spoke to at Roadcraft, Brian who does most of it is really on the ball. It is expensive but it is VERY good quality and in the RAM where its very close to the chassis and a total PITA to get out, I don't want to be messing with it. But there are a lot of other ways to do it. I did see your other post but if its not the slave then you have potentially bigger problems unless its just adjustment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast