Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West Midlands UK.
    Posts
    3,034

    AK Gen 1 Rear Caliper Replacement

    As the title suggests I'm replacing my rear calipers like for like , standard inboard JagXJS/ Series 3 fare.

    Whats the easiest method ?

    I'm thinking it would be easier to drop the diff assembly complete and remove/ replace on the floor. Someone nameless thinks it may be possible to do in situ.

    Whats the concensus of opinion out there?

    Cheers,

    Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cowbridge, United Kingdom
    Age
    63
    Posts
    10,278
    Hi Tony,
    Is it easier to remove the seats and cut a hatch in the rear firewall.
    I did that on a Dax.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hockley ,Essex
    Age
    58
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Hi Tony,
    Is it easier to remove the seats and cut a hatch in the rear firewall.
    I did that on a Dax.
    I would agree with Kevin on this .
    The SR that I have has a similar set up but have not got around to
    cutting a hole out yet.
    The brake pads will need to replaced in the next couple of thousand
    miles, so that will be a good time to do both these jobs.
    Chris.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West Midlands UK.
    Posts
    3,034
    Hi Kev,

    Funnily enough I already have an access panel in the rear bulkhead as a means to replace the rear brake pads.

    It seems that this option is already half done.

    Certainly beats taking the whole rear axle assembly off.

    Just off into the garage to size the required hole up.
    Last edited by TonyD; 29-03-21 at 05:12 PM.
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chelmsford Essex
    Posts
    1,585
    Agree with the comments with putting in a inspection hatch and make it removable with some fixings and a seal. Make it large enough.

    Take the seats out will give you enough access.

    In the long run I use mine for handbrake adjustment and brake bleeding as well which is at least every couple of years.
    I am putting in a remote bleed valve for the rear brakes which is very handy.

    I would not drop the whole diff unless you wanted to do a over-haul of the back end.

    For the Dax you usually have to drop the fuel tank so you will end up with a lot of other jobs ( Shocks, brake line, tie rods, hand brake cable) which you would not need to do leaving it in situ.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southwest, Somerset, U.K.
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,298
    It’s all doable without an access hatch. Ive done them a few times but a hatch would make things easier.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    1,405
    Hi Tony, a little tip, when you get the bolts out, use a slim 1mm slit disc in your grinder to put slots in the end of the bolts. Clean the threads if you catch them with a fine file. When you get them back into the hole, start them off. In your brake disc you should have 2 access holes, line these up with the caliper mount hole put a big screwdriver through and into the slot you made, turn the screwdriver anti clockwise which effectively tightens the bolts and all you have to do is nip them tight with your spanner. Sometimes I have have to hold pressure against the bolt head until I get the thread going as the screwdriver pushes the bolt out. Make sure all the lockwire holes are clear as well.
    It beats doing quarter turns on each bolt for 20 mins.
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

    cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    20
    Always going to be a time consuming job as you will also need to remove the handbrake cable/springs/actuators etc before the calipers - as well as an opening in the bulkhead behind the seats I have a removable section on the transmission tunnel over the prop shaft which really helps manipulating spanners. Use a thin 16mm or 5/8 ratchet ring spanner if you can get it on the hex of the caliper bolt - it will get stuck and not be removable after a few turns but keeps turning and falls out when the caliper comes off. Make sure the handbrake actuators are free to move before re-fitting and use a stubby flat driver to wind the shoes hard up to the discs before releasing a turn or two - you can reach these from under the car. Good luck with the hardest part - re-wiring the caliper bolt heads!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West Midlands UK.
    Posts
    3,034
    Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    Hi Tony, a little tip, when you get the bolts out, use a slim 1mm slit disc in your grinder to put slots in the end of the bolts. Clean the threads if you catch them with a fine file. When you get them back into the hole, start them off. In your brake disc you should have 2 access holes, line these up with the caliper mount hole put a big screwdriver through and into the slot you made, turn the screwdriver anti clockwise which effectively tightens the bolts and all you have to do is nip them tight with your spanner. Sometimes I have have to hold pressure against the bolt head until I get the thread going as the screwdriver pushes the bolt out. Make sure all the lockwire holes are clear as well.
    It beats doing quarter turns on each bolt for 20 mins.

    Top Tip re the screw driver driving the bolt from the opposite end.

    Re wiring the bolts I do not intend to wire them this time as I hope to use lockwashers, locktite thread sealer and ditcth the bolts for security wir in favour of bolts without holes in.

    Funnily enough all my normal cars do not have wired caliper bolts, a bit of thread sealant from new seems to be the modus operandi so I cannot see any problem with cutting out all that twisted wire palaver.

    Cheers,

    Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hockley ,Essex
    Age
    58
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    I would agree with Kevin on this .
    The SR that I have has a similar set up but have not got around to
    cutting a hole out yet.
    The brake pads will need to replaced in the next couple of thousand
    miles, so that will be a good time to do both these jobs.
    Chris.
    Won't be changing rear brake pads just yet, I have just checked this morning
    and there is a good 5/8" or 10mm left .
    Thanks to the above for those suggest tips, they will be very useful.
    Chris.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •