Hybrid View

Fitting a Le Mans Hardtop to my Dax. (JK / formerly Brookes Version)...

Yes, my hardtop has finally landed. I'm going to 'blog' this project (and it is a project!) for your entertainment, my posterity, and, hopefully to provide useful experience for others on the same path - and selfishly, to glean knowledge from those of you that have already taken the plunge.
    I'll take some pics tomorrow, just kind of poking around and examining the components. ( I might have already removed the kick-panels, windscreen, offered up the roof, taken measurements, sat in the car pretending to be on the Mulsanne straight, banged my head 19 times, cut myself...)...
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Interesting, be interested to read this - I was about to put up a bubbletop hardtop thread, adapting a 289 bubbletop for a 427 with a rear roll bar leg.
    I've cut it up into 4 pieces and now on the home straight glassing it back together.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post
    cut myself...)...
    I think that's mandatory when working with anything fibreglass.. I still manage to jam the occasional sharp strand right under a nail when I'm feeling for a blind fixing.. you'd think I'd have collected them all by now!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Don't know if this is of any use at all but I made a post of when I fitted a Dax hard top to my AK.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    Don't know if this is of any use at all but I made a post of when I fitted a Dax hard top to my AK.
    Hell yeah - I have studied your thread in great detail previously. Very brave and successful result. Looks superb!
    I felt quite daunted if I'm honest - after John had left, it was quite late, maybe after 10pm and I was alone in my garage with this hardtop kit. It is very 'raw' - far from being a matter of assembly then paint, there's alot to be done. For example - the sidescreens. I have a sheet of perspex, some alloy extrusion and some hardware. Definitely a process to be taken slowly and patiently. I knew all this, but now it's real.
    I think it looks like a good sturdy moulding though, the parts all appear to be the right shape and size, and thanks to John's email of assembly instructions and lots of photos, I'm really looking forward to getting on with it. It seems to sit nicely in position, so first stage will be to install the rear deck attachment fixings. Measure, measure, MEASURE. Go to bed. Wake up and MEASURE AGAIN.
    I will get round to posting some photos soon.

First questions: What fasteners do guys use to attach the over-centre catches to the hood bows on your soft/hardtops?

Also: What fasteners do you use to attach the hood bows into the channel on the hardtop, and where did you decide to put the fasteners through?
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post

First questions: What fasteners do guys use to attach the over-centre catches to the hood bows on your soft/hardtops?

Also: What fasteners do you use to attach the hood bows into the channel on the hardtop, and where did you decide to put the fasteners through?

If I understand your questions right you use exactly the same bows and fasteners for both the soft top and the hard top, the only difference is you remove the clips in the bows where you slide them into the channel in the middle top of the screen.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

As per Martin's post.
    be aware that the bows for the soft top are slightly wider than the unfinished hardtop bows you can get from Europa. I guess this is to accommodate the mohair being wrapped round the inside surface and bonded in place.
    The ones I got also didnt fit very well, so I'll probably stick with the shorter narrower hardtop bows I already have.

As for fixings, this is a work in progress for me - I have a few items on order I'll be experimenting with.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.