Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I'll need to remove the top-hat fixings to remove the masking and do the final install with Nylock nuts. I can take a shot of one while it's out. JK can supply, I'm sure.
    I'm planning to put large-flange rivets into the aft faces of the hood bows to secure their positions, through the GRP, using washers as spacers to bridge the gap between the hood bow and the GRP. Sika-Flex will do the rest.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Well, I've been away to Wales but I've spent the last two days getting a good bit of work done. I wrapped the screen in polythene and added some packing here and there to keep the chopped-strand paste where I want it, then applied a thin first layer. I built it up without getting carried away, until it was just thick enough.
    Once that was cured, I removed the hardtop and hoodbows, then wet-assembled the hoodbows with Sika-flex 221 and refitted the lot to the car, then I went to bed.
    This morning, I removed the hardtop (again) and decided that the best way to fill the V-shaped gap between the hoodbows and the side of the channel they sit in, was to fill it with chopped-strand paste. My previous plan to use spacers on the pop-rivets to bridge the gap seemed a bit crap, after some thought.
    So - filed, drilled and riveted with large-flanged, 4.8mm ally pops, three each side, tnrough the aft-face. Lovely. Trial fit...great.
    Marked positions for over-centre latches on the hoodbows, removed the hardtop - again - and drill and fit latches. The bolts I used were a bit long, so I ground the tails down flush with the nylocks to minimise protrusion. They're fine, thankfully.
    I've permanently installed the rear deck fittings now, opting to use threadlock instead of Nylocks, although either would work.
    Initial fit is about done now, but I will smooth the top of the channel for the windscreen with filler, to give the weather seal a flatter surface to sit on.
    Pics:

Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post
    I'll need to remove the top-hat fixings to remove the masking and do the final install with Nylock nuts. I can take a shot of one while it's out. JK can supply, I'm sure.
    I'm planning to put large-flange rivets into the aft faces of the hood bows to secure their positions, through the GRP, using washers as spacers to bridge the gap between the hood bow and the GRP. Sika-Flex will do the rest.
    Been on to JK - won't supply, was worth a try. Got some other bits'n'pieces coming from different suppliers this week for fixings, we'll see how that works out.
    JK claimed the top hats were available elsewhere, but I cant find a supplier.

Nice progress. Have you still got room for a rubber sealing strip across the top of the screen?
    Last edited by KevinW; 21-04-21 at 07:04 AM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Been on to JK - won't supply, was worth a try. Got some other bits'n'pieces coming from different suppliers this week for fixings, we'll see how that works out.
    JK claimed the top hats were available elsewhere, but I cant find a supplier.

Nice progress. Have you still got room for a rubber sealing strip across the top of the screen?
    I'll see if I can find them somewhere. I did find this guy, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Pa...kAAOSwb2hcfGdU
    If it's of any use I can give you all the dimensions of the part. Any machine shop can make them once they have the dimensions.
    As for the screen seal, I've bought a 25mm x 6mm closed-cell self-adhesive foam strip. The idea is that the foam strip provides the 'pre-load' on the windscreen latches as well as a weather seal once installed.

If you have the dims, I can knock some up for Kev gratis assuming they're within the capabilities of my lathe (so .. less than about 7" diameter )
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    If you have the dims, I can knock some up for Kev gratis assuming they're within the capabilities of my lathe (so .. less than about 7" diameter )
    Great! You're a very nice man indeed. I'll measure up and get back to you with the details.

Dimensions are as follows:

Head diameter: 17.2mm
    Head height: 2.5mm
    Shank length: 25.5mm
    Depth of unthreaded lead-in bore: 13mm
    Diameter of unthreaded lead-in bore: 6.1mm
    Internal thread: M6
    External thread: M10
    Material: Stainless steel

The 13mm deep unthreaded bore is a great help for getting the bolts located whilst fitting the hardtop - it would a real pain if the thread started at the top.
    That should be all you need, but just shout if there's anything else.

So basically this - in stainless, I presume..

My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Wow, nice drawing. Spot on. I don't have that facility! But that is exactly correct.

So basically this - in stainless, I presume..

I used up most of my abrasives doing this - but the hinges have come up ok really, I wasn't going for a highly polished finish, and they're stainless so it's hard going - but compared to the 'Orange-peel' texture and laser-cut rough edges they came with, I quite pleased with the results.
    Also, my plans to shorten the roll-hoop (quite a bit!) to fit under the lid...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast