Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post
    Wow, nice drawing. Spot on. I don't have that facility! But that is exactly correct.
    Thanks guys, really appreciate this.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post
    Wow, nice drawing. Spot on. I don't have that facility! But that is exactly correct.
    Excellent - I'll have a look this weekend.. not sure if I've got any stainless offcuts of a large enough diameter so might have to pick some up, but I can t least try and knock up a proof of concept in mild
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Drill a hole to suit the pin on a stainless M12 Socket Head Button Flange Screw

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/flanged-bu...SSBF-M12-20-A2

I've completed the initial fit now, pretty happy with the overall result, although I do have a few stress-cracks to grind out and fill which have appeared at one of the rear-deck fittings. I don't know how/when they happened because the deck was covered with tape for a while. No problem to sort anyway.
    So - front edge of the roof completed, I wasn't happy with the tension on the latches initially, So I slotted the mounting holes to allow adjustment. Much better now. Seal looks like it'll work, but I might change it from 6mm to 10mm if it leaks.
    The central support no longer fitted due to the increased rake of the screen. I squeezed the bracket the get the angle, then I made a 6mm plinth to fill the gap between the bracket and the scuttle.
    With that sorted, I lengthened the slot in the frame escutcheon plates to allow for the increased rake of the screen and refiited them.
    Today, I refitted the interior panels and filled a couple of holes where I had to delete two of the fixings for the tonneau cover.
    Carpets tomorrow, then MoT time. With all this done, the hardtop is now separate from the car, which can now be used again and the hardtop can be progressed without having the car in bits. It's going well.

DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Typos

I've gone a bit further with the fit since last post, with the roof bolted down I turned my attention to the tailgate. The tailgate isn't an impressive moulding. It's ok - and once complete it will look fine - but in it's raw state it's little more than a flimsy hoop with a lump at one end.
    I must say, though - it's starting to feel more like a tailgate now that I've attached some hardware. First job was to trim around the outer edge to get a decent, even gap all round it. Then I did the same to the inner edge so that it looked tidier, then I trimmed it further to introduce a degree of symmetry for the first time.
    I shaved off some lumps and bumps (not the best moulding in the world), and then drilled off and fitted the pre-marked bear-claw catches (not before checking the markings first though!).
    The lock position is also pre-marked, but undrilled as this sits between the stripes - meaning that if your stripes are off-centre, etc, your lock is going to look silly. So, I checked mine and - spot on! Unbelievable really, as the front stripes take a sudden left turn halfway down the bonnet! Some material removeal is necessary around the lock, for the backing nut to sit flat and for clearance of the crank and connecting rod movement. With the lock fitted, I fitted the connecting rods and adjusted them so that the catches release simultaneously.
    I've offered up the tailgate to the car and marked the positions for the catch striker bolts, which I'll install tomorrow.
    After that, I need to temporarily fit the weather seal and fit the hinges - then I should be able to determine the position of the hinge-mounting plate inside the roof.
    Pics...

Last edited by Bannon; 17-05-21 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Typos

Nice work.
    Just wondering on the rear and middle fixings on the hardtop to body: do mounting bolts go straight through the grp skirt, or are they going through metal brackets on the hard top?
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Nice work.
    Just wondering on the rear and middle fixings on the hardtop to body: do mounting bolts go straight through the grp skirt, or are they going through metal brackets on the hard top?
    The bolts just go through holes in the grp. However, I feel it's slightly crude although I haven't yet given much thought to refining it. I suppose ferrules or escutcheons of some kind could be used...

I was hoping that would be the case. I was wondering about re-enforcing with a metal plate in the grp skirt, but think I'll leave it. The top wont be going anywhere easily anyway as the skirt round the base that forms round the cars hips means its pretty solid once plonked on, so I don't think there will be much movement.

I might use a pair of these with a rubber washer underneath:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402781065...c100044.m43681

Must update my own hardtop thread.
    Last edited by KevinW; 18-05-21 at 06:37 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Tailgate done! Well, minus the glass, but I have just taken delivery of a fiercely powerful pair of suction handles for when I eventually tackle the job.
    It's mostly been fairly smooth sailing with the fitting of the tailgate - my process was to position the tailgate, mark the positions of the striker pins and, once the pins were fitted, attache the hinges and hinge mounting bracket to the tailgate and see where the mounting bracket wants to live. This worked like a dream and I riveted the mounting plate into it's permanent position. The actual hinges as you see in the photos are, in fact, incorrectly mounted on the outside of the mounting bracket and the brackets on the tailgate - not intentional, just me being incompetent. It makes no difference though - just cosmetics.
    Anyway, here are some pics. Next post I will explain how the fitting of the striker pins went from simply drilling a hole to pop a nut on the back, to a full re-think...

Test...

I'm trying to submit a new post but the site crashes my computer and I have to re-boot everything each time. This one is a test.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast