Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you do THIS?

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    Beaulieu Classic Car Garage hire out classics. They did have an AK427 that they used to hire out. That has since been sold and is now a CAT S write off. The current owner wants £25K for it apparently. Looks to have been a well sorted car in its former life.
    Jaguar Green running SBC350 with a Getrag box.
    That must have been the one Adam C took out on his YouTube channel I saw. It did look a well sorted car.
    Dek
    Last edited by Dek; 01-04-21 at 02:17 PM.

What HP/Tonne is considered dangerous then?
    Everyone always assumes that the person hiring is not a capable driver, if the guy or girl is going to pay £1100 for 48hrs I would bet they have had a more privileged car history than me.

If Lewis Hamilton fancied a cobra for the weekend. Do we say no you didn't build this in your shed😂

I don't think that's the point at all. The point is that you don't know. If the car was for rent then you don't have a clue about their ability or not. I would let about 3 friends drive my car, NONE of the rest of them, given that's a very small percentage of friends who are often petrol heads! Allowing someone I have no knowledge of is what the issue would be. If Lewis wanted one for the weekend, well to start with he already has an original one but second I would not have a problem with that as he knows how to drive.

What I'm saying is the company's that hire high performance cars are happy with the risks associated for the reward they get. If every car they hire is written off on the first day. I don't think there would be anyone offering this service. The op was asking about offering this. I understand on a personal basis when you're mate says add me on your insurance for the weekend, that's a totally different senario for each car owner. As a business these would be accepted risks that would be reflected in the hire costs.

Agreed but he specifically asked how many of US hire out our OWN cars, not could this make a business. So the response from most of us is a direct answer to the question asked. I am well aware that there are companies out there hiring out cars like these but that's the point, they are companies who probably have no personal investment in each car.

Which is the same as I'm saying, if you're going to do it. You have to do it as a business and accept all the risks involved. But if you do, there are people out there making money doing it.

Sounds like insanity to me.....

Hire out my car? You must be bloody joking. I have far too much emotion invested in mine.
    Most drivers grossly over estimate their ability and a cobra is nothing like a more modern performance car. I had a mate who thought he could drive because he’d once owned a V6 Mondeo!!! He couldn’t and he was very embarrassed when a gang of us did a rally day and he got the ‘muppets’ prize! Plus there are some real idiots out there.
    As a business? Possibly but there are easier cars to do it with. I guess a low performance cobra might work, otherwise you would be forever fixing it or pulling it out of hedges!
    And to be honest, I would feel responsible for the safety of the drivers and others. Very easy to get yourself in trouble, especially in the damp, cold or wet!

Well I don't see that as being the same at all Phil and I think its academic as you can see the overwhelming view here anyway. A business set up to do it is one thing, everyone else pretty much is saying no they would not do it for the reasons I used i.e they CANNOT see a way that the risk is worth it, as the original poster asked the question of individuals I think we have the answer as far as the vast majority of us would be concerned.

Interesting to see the responses, thanks to all those who took the time to reply!
    On a separate note it’s be interesting to know which owners out there feel they can ‘drive’ and what (if any) further qualifications they have had to help. I didn’t have any ability to ‘drive’ for the first 7 years of ownership and didn’t manage to park her in a tree at any point!
    I agree that it is a contentious issue, and only to be entered into very cautiously. I was thinking £5-600/day with a hefty £3-5000 deposit + appropriate insurances. This should put off those who are out for a rag-it-round-the-supermarket-car-park-joy-ride. Also fit a black box/tracker that would alert to ‘dangerous driving’ (if such a thing exists!). Don’t want to make my fortune with a rental every day, just cover the costs of upkeep.
    Still undecided, but keeping an open mind, thoughts/comments still very much welcome!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast