Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Can you be sure about the valve timing,
    It should not have changed but as mentioned unless there is
    something wrong with timing chain gears or associated components.
    I'm sure it will be something daft but these things need to checked first
    and won't cost anything to check.
    Best of luck
    Chris.

Hi Chris,

Thanks sorry for the silly questions, I take it what I did earlier ie ensure that the BTDC is at 6 degree is ignition timing?

If this is not, not sure how I would check the value timing?

Could this have changed after it was running?

Ah I hope so, defeating me at present, just so strange that it was running ok.

Quote Originally Posted by AKing13 View Post
    Thanks All,

I've done a static set and pointed the rotor arm toward cylinder 1.

Tried to start it, and still won't go the bolt clamp is tight.

A few checks you could do -

You have had the dizzy cap off, are you sure you have it back on correctly and seated down in the right place?

Are you confident the plug leads are not muddled up? Worth a check using firing order around the cap to make sure they are all in the right place.

Is there any dampness or cracks in the cap? Is the rotor arm and the contact in the top of the cap good?

Are you sure there is petrol there? It does sound as though there is as it is firing a bit. Give it plenty, especially if you don't have a choke.

There is still popping and bangs coming from the carb and exhausts.
    Popping and banging does sound like timing out. You could mark on the manifold where number 1 is now, loosen the dizzy clamp and then just turn it sightly both ways while someone cranks the motor. If that does not fix it you have the mark to put it back to.

However, one other thing, how long has the petrol been in the tank? I know someone who bought a car (Porsche) as a non runner, drained the tank, put new fuel in and it started straight away! The modern fuel is not good. Just a thought.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

How old is the engine?, have you done any work to it?, it is not inconceivable that the timing chain has jumped a tooth or the sprocket has lost a tooth if it's not been looked at and it's done high miles, everything you describe points to the timing being out

Quote Originally Posted by AKing13 View Post
    Hi Chris,

Thanks sorry for the silly questions, I take it what I did earlier ie ensure that the BTDC is at 6 degree is ignition timing?

If this is not, not sure how I would check the value timing?

Could this have changed after it was running?

Ah I hope so, defeating me at present, just so strange that it was running ok.
    You will need to be prepared to turn crankshaft a couple of times with the rocker
    cover removed on the number 1 cylinder side .
    You will then be able to see what the number 1 cylinder rocker arms are doing when
    crank is turned and the rotor arm is pointing to no1 firing.
    Both valves should be shut, therefore the rocker arms should be momentarily static
    to enable no1 to fire if not you will need to remove valve timing cover.
    Hope this helps
    Chris.
    Last edited by Chris1; 05-04-21 at 08:15 AM.

If you removed the dizzy cap, did you remove the leads from the the cap too?
    You might have simply mixed up the leads?
    Double check your leads against the firing order and correct rotation.
    Have you damaged the rotor arm?
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

If you’ve checked your ignition timing and you’re absolutely sure it is good then the crank-cam relationship can’t have changed. The dizzy is driven by the cam so any error introduced between crank and cam will also be seen in ignition timing.

BUT, how have you checked the ignition timing? If I understood your post correctly you are only looking at the rotor arm to cap relationship. You need to look at the trigger wheel to sensor relationship.

Best to do this before you move anything else!

Hi Aaron
    Have you had any luck getting the engine going?

What carbs have you got on the engine? Can you post a pic?
    How far have you driven on it or what stage of build are you at with the engine?

I had tons of trouble getting mine to run (stock SD1 with SU's) as it had been sitting up a long time between starts and in the first few years I only started it until it got hot for the joy of the noise! No water, no exhaust and a petrol tank from a boat for the first few !?
    Declan

RV8, Sierra based Viper.
    I'm sure if I give it enough love it will, someday, love me back!?

Hi Deck,

Thanks for the message.

Still no luck, I have just received a new distributor, as when was cranking by hand and putting it to BTDC.

I then somehow was able to turn the rotor arm by hand around 90 degrees.

I then turned the crank again and tried the rotor arm and this time was not able to turn by hand.

I have compression tested and tested that no water somehow got into the heads.

So I will fit the new distributor and try to time up again see if this works.

I'm basing this on the possibility that the current distributor shaft having an issue.

But again could be wrong ☹

what carbs and fuel pump have you got? Most of my starting problems were fuel related, other than the broken valve springs...

Does the new distributor do away with the ballast (if you had the original SD1 ballast)?

And how far along is the build?
    Declan

RV8, Sierra based Viper.
    I'm sure if I give it enough love it will, someday, love me back!?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast