Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wont start after connecting the coil incorrectly

I was doing some re-wiring and during the process somehow I managed to get the positive coil lead plugged into the negative side of the coil. The car wouldn't start and then I realised what I'd done and changed it over. Unfortunately the car still wouldn't start. I did some tests on the coil that were inconclusive so decided to just replace the coil, but this failed to resolve the problem.

I have noticed that there's a green wire coming from the negative side of the coil that goes into the side of the distributor (this was of course momentarily connected to the positive wire). I'm thinking that maybe I've blown whatever this green wire goes to inside the distributor? Is that likely?

Thanks, Kev

(Rover 3.9 V
    Last edited by bigkev38; 27-04-21 at 04:34 PM.
    Dax MK4, RV8

Better to try, and fail....than to fail to try.

- you are referring to the low tension side of the coil?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

The coil is stamped + and - (sorry I don't know what low tension side is). I connected a positive lead to the - side of the coil, that also has a lead that goes off to the distributor.

Last edited by bigkev38; 27-04-21 at 05:03 PM.
    Dax MK4, RV8

Hi ,

That is a Mallory Unilite distributor that you have and the reversal may well have destroyed the electronic module inside the distributor.

Regards
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jrv8 View Post
    Hi ,

That is a Mallory Unilite distributor that you have and the reversal may well have destroyed the electronic module inside the distributor.

Regards
    Jim
    Seconded. If your ignition is electronic, you've most likely fried it. I did the same thing years ago with a Pertronix electronic ignition conversion which replaces the points in the distributor. Had to buy a new one.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Thanks Jim, that's very helpful. Just did a quick Google image search and you're right its a Mallory Unilite. I will see what's involved and the cost of just changing it to see if that resolves the problem. Just found a YouTube video on how to check if its faulty, so I'll give that a go first.

Many thanks

Kev
    Dax MK4, RV8

It sounds silly have you checked the fuse which supplies the coil?

If you connected it to the negative side then it would have have had no load and the current that would flow would have exceeded the fuses rating and popped it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrv8 View Post
    Hi ,

Regards
    Jim
    Stuck a credit card between the pickups on the Mallory module and getting a constant 12v with no drop at the coil, so it looks like the module has blown.
    This will not be an easy part to get hold of either! Its a "Mallory Module" part number 6001M, anyone have any ideas where I might be able to get hold of one?

Thanks, Kev
    Dax MK4, RV8

Real steel list a unilite module £148.02 not sure if it’s the same PN as you list.

they also list a module for a conversion which is Real Steel PN BY6001M. £84

I don’t in coincidences so I reckon yours might be a conversion module- I guess a convert from dual points unit.
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

Thanks Roger.
    Well, in for a pound and all that, I decided to dismantle the module to find that there's very little in it to go wrong. There's a couple of diodes and a transistor that has a big crack across it. I will try and get a replacement transistor and replace it, which shouldn't cost more than a couple of pounds. Nothing ventured nothing gained and might save myself a couple of hundred quid!
    Dax MK4, RV8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast