Thread: Horn wiring.

Horn wiring.

Just finalising my AK build and on the horn circuit i have two wires for the horns. One i know is the live from the fuse box, the other i presume is an earth which conventionally would link up to the steering wheel horn push via the loom ,thus completing the circuit. Confusion lies with the fact that both wires are the same colour. In this instance does the column need to be earthed to the chassis.
    Anyone else had a similar setup.

Brush the two wires together to make sure they are the horn wires. The horn should sound. I don’t know what donor parts you are using for the steering column but whatever there should be two terminals that these two wires attach to.
    Are these two wires to be attached to the push horn or to the slip ring? Whichever, both should have homes for the cables. Neither should need to attach to the chassis. To keep it simple, all they do is complete a circuit via a switch, namely the horn button.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

I will try your suggestion of brushing the two wires together to see if the horns work, the other thing i need to do is remove the central steering wheel boss and plastic covers on the BMW column to see what wires are connected, this will give me a better understanding of what wires are already in situ. In theory it is a simple circuit the problem arises when adding wires to a part which has or is already wired to some degree.
    regards

Are you using AK's loom ?
    From memory I only had one wire and the horn push earths through the column..