Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I still can’t Believe the main pick ups are on inch x inch box section tack welded along one edge.

That’s the bits I triangulated, gusseted and reinforced for fear of the rear axle falling out the first time it pulled away.

Thanks Chimeara, I look forward to seeing the photos of your modifications & I have no doubt I'll be copying !!
    Brian

Hi Brian,
    I found some (very) old photos of the front mounting point of the rear sub frame. This is another Sierra setup that looks like it uses the same subframe.
    This one uses the original spring (which has been a total pain!).

They made space on the corner by triangulating the box frame and putting a 5mm x 100mm? plate all the was across the back of the floor-pan. this is welded on all edges.
    They welded a 40mm cylinder onto this, possibly to reduce any rotation of the bolt? I have used a 12.9 M12 bolt on this and its done about 2000 miles ok...

They tacked a triangle plate to the top of the box to get the seatbelt ground and the door lock pillar back far enough.

I tried getting a picture of the diff carrier but its hard to see now. It is a substantial plate and what I hope is taking most of the load.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Declan

RV8, Sierra based Viper.
    I'm sure if I give it enough love it will, someday, love me back!?

Thanks Dec,
    Thats really helpful.
    I had a similar idea that I thought might work, but what you have done is far more extensive and great to see it can be done like that without difficulty.
    I was wondering about being able to do that without interfering with the body and how the body mounts but plenty of space from your photos.
    Was also interested in mounting a seat belt anchor point on that side without screwing things up, so clearly plenty of space the beef it up substantially.
    The diff is hung at the back of the chassis on about 3mm plate, welded in a few spots but it is a flexible mount.
    I was thinking on using an aftermarket mount which is a little stiffer, so I'll beef the plate up a little too & seam weld it to the chassis rather than spot weld it.
    Two quick questions.
    My setup seems as if there are no anti-roll bars, yours the same? Front & rear?
    Finally, the front wishbones, do you have any photos, did you get enough clearance from the shock, the way the wishbone mounts are made seems as if they are offset so I'm guessing caster is ok, but how's your camber & steering centering?
    Do you still have the car? I'm not that far away if I could get a look at it sometime when these crazy times have moved on.
    Thanks for your help with this.
    Brian.

Just to clarify Brian, this is a different kit, Classic Replicas, and it came this way... it seems to be using the same Ford rear suspension though.
    My front set up is quite a bit different to your pics (no harm as i had to do a lot of mods there). You look like you have plenty of adjustment for camber in the top mounting thread and the
    I've got Kingpin inclination leaning backwards at the top for castor/self centering? I had a blank plate at the top so was able to drill the hole where ever I wanted on it - not that useful actually!?
    I've taken a few pics. Kind of regretting the winter driving a bit. You'll have to try and look past the rust! As you can see, quite a bit different.

There are no anti roll bars on my car. Its fine on country roads when cornering with the power on but gets a bit uneasy on long motorway bends.
    I haven't looked into them to be honest as I'm not really driving it hard. if they start resurfacing some roads around here I might look into it!?

It was in Dublin in November and got as far as Castlebellingham on Boxing day. Will need to order a Green Card now for insurance but sounds like a good enough excuse for another spin down??
    You're more than welcome to come up and take a look when you can.

Generally though, if you have a welder handy, then just beef up any parts you are not happy with now. Once the body is on, its a lot more difficult!!
    Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Declan

RV8, Sierra based Viper.
    I'm sure if I give it enough love it will, someday, love me back!?

Thanks Declan,
    I am making plates and will triangulate a few more points on the chassis where it's obvious it will benefit.
    Your front is completely different to mine, the rear setup is very similar.
    Camber shouldn't be a problem, caster might, I'll probably only know when I set it up again. I'm stripping the chassis down again to sandblast it & powdercoat it again, the supplier didn't do a great job on the first powder coating. It's rusting through it, despite being in a shed the whole time. It looks like it was just powercoated over the raw metal without any prep.... Chimeara has modified his front wishbones so I suspect there may be issues. He's going to send me photos of the setup when the car is back from paint. Its looks a bit inclined however the upper & lower mounts seem to be located at the same position on the chassis (measured them), so I'm not sure.I would have thought they might have been offset by a few mm. Chimeara's setup will tell me a lot when I see the photos.
    The sooner things get back to normal the better. I sometimes go to Belfast with work, so if I'm passing I let you know.
    Thanks...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12