Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suspension setup, Fiero Euro427 ThnksCobra

Hi,

Has anyone built a sierra based, Fiero Factory Cobra on the forum.
    I have a kit for a long time & I am about to start a build. Would be very interested in seeing pictures of front & rear suspension setup on this kit, if someone has a build log with pictures. I've tried google searches and cannot find an Euro427 build. Just hoping someone here might have some photos or can give a little insight into the Fiero chassis.
    Thanks,
    Brian.

Hi Brian and welcome.
    There are a number of guys on here with Viper style Cobras.
    I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some wisdom.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

The Fiero was the late Keith Kirk's creation (ex-Pilgrim employee), and in fact it used a splashed Pilgrim body.
    There are some differences in the chassis, (and the Fiero recommended heater solution) but given the Sierra donor I suspect that the donor axle side of things is remarkably similar.

If you post some pics of your wishbones and chassis pics in the axle area plenty of us will be able to advise on if its Pilgrim-esque or not.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I’m Finishing one off for a customer. Car is currently at paint. It’s actually quite frightening how the rear end is held in. I have put extensive effort into strengthening and reinforcing the way the rear axle is held in.

Installing the inner rear wheel arch panels and body closures is also great fun. Also done work to the Front wishbones so they clear the shock absorbers properly and obtain decent camber settings.

Having built many pilgrims the body is where all similarities end. The engineering (or lack of) in the mechanical side of things is quite frightening.

Happy to help with photos and info once it’s back from the paint shop if it helps.

Back in the day, when I was still kidding myself that I would get around to building my own, the Euro427 was at the top of my list. Sounds like I dodged a bullet.

Thanks for the replies guys. The rear suspension is exactly why I have my reservations. I put all the suspension onto the chassis about 15 years ago, had reservations, could get no information and just left it at that, until now.
    Front suspension, I have the same problem, I have ordered the new style front upper wishbone from Pilgrim & hope that will do the trick for the camber & maybe even castor. They are offset and should help I hope. Chimeara, I would really appreciate some photos and any insight into what you have done to the car you are working on. Thanks Kevin W, I'll post a few photos tomorrow, just ignore the engine !!

Suspension photos

Here are the photos, they are in the gallery, hope the link works.
    brianskybolt
    Brian

Isn't the rear end just the standard Sierra rear beam setup bolted up to the Euro427 chassis?

Yes it is, but what it bolts too or the lack of what it bolts to is the problem.

Yes, the whole unit is bolted onto the chassis. Some of the brackets & fabrication might be a little on the light side. I was looking to see if anyone had problems with the chassis after running it for a while or if my reservations were unfounded...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast