Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,217
    I've had a fuel smell in the boot for a long time, but no obvious leaks. I found out last week that the fuel pipes weren't the right spec and the ethanol in modern fuels was rotting them from the inside. Aside from the fuel pump & internal filter filling with bits of rubber I did wonder if the petrol smell was due to these pipes too ?

    Since they've been replaced the smell is reduced, but this could also have just been a leaky joint getting fixed during the swap.

    Either way, do check the spec of your hoses, I'm glad I avoided a breakdown and a towtruck.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

    Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Shipston-On-Stour
    Posts
    618
    Let me get this right, your 'handle' is Firestarter and you had leaky petrol pipes!!!!!!

    Seriously though, you are spot on, those substandard/ethanol intolerant pipes are a massive risk.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,217
    I’d lost track of when they were changed, not as recent as I thought and was alerted when the fuel pump became very noisy and I lost most power for a minute, then it came back, so I got the pump checked....

    I’ve got an 1800 mile trip around Scotland in May so glad to have found it now, close to home, in dry weather.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

    Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter29 View Post
    I've had a fuel smell in the boot for a long time, but no obvious leaks. I found out last week that the fuel pipes weren't the right spec and the ethanol in modern fuels was rotting them from the inside. Aside from the fuel pump & internal filter filling with bits of rubber I did wonder if the petrol smell was due to these pipes too ?

    Since they've been replaced the smell is reduced, but this could also have just been a leaky joint getting fixed during the swap.

    Either way, do check the spec of your hoses, I'm glad I avoided a breakdown and a towtruck.
    You’re right there David. I had a braided piece of hose going to the carb. Started up after the winter and fuel was peeing out all over the manifold. That certainly grabbed my attention! Good job I did my “pre-flight” under bonnet checks before setting off.
    Phoned Brasscraft and whoever I spoke to was very helpful. They don’t supply a seal but can supply a replacement vented cap. As he pointed out because it’s vented to let air into the tank it will also let a certain amount of fumes out. I guess it all depends on what is “normal”. My filler neck is vented back into the tank with a short rubber tube connector which I should replace in case it’s perished. As with the filler neck hose itself. If I could find a source of nitrile rubber I could make a replacement cap seal then that’s all the culprits covered.
    Dek

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Fleet
    Posts
    39
    lol, i didnt realise the 'back to the future' reference, and I am a big fan.

    Brasscraft:
    Prior to setting up Brasscraft, Cris Glover was employed by Panther cars to create the Brightwork for this high end market. Following on from Panther cars he worked at Rapport Armalite and was involved in specialised vehicle construction.
    Cris Glover's specialised work includes working on the Spanish Pope mobile, Chitty Bang Bang for the stage production, and manufacture of parts for the vintage restoration market.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,217
    A nitrile rubber glove ? - marigold rather than surgical style ? Depends how thick you want it.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

    Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter29 View Post
    A nitrile rubber glove ? - marigold rather than surgical style ? Depends how thick you want it.
    Don’t think a Marigold would be thick enough David but thanks for the suggestion.
    Dek

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    west sussex
    Posts
    83
    An issue on my IVA test last week was strong smell of fuel in boot (tank fuel to brim for test).

    Two testers spent some time looking for any sign of fuel leak, but there wasn't one.

    Conclusion was that the fuel tank was not vented correctly to outside of vehicle, there are two tubes in top of tank, one is fuel pick up the other to vent fuel tank.

    I just need to run pipe from tube that's next to fuel supply pipe down and out through a tight fitting grommet.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    9,497
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboFreak View Post
    An issue on my IVA test last week was strong smell of fuel in boot (tank fuel to brim for test).

    Two testers spent some time looking for any sign of fuel leak, but there wasn't one.

    Conclusion was that the fuel tank was not vented correctly to outside of vehicle, there are two tubes in top of tank, one is fuel pick up the other to vent fuel tank.

    I just need to run pipe from tube that's next to fuel supply pipe down and out through a tight fitting grommet.
    sniff your copper pipes where they exit/enter the tank - you may have a hairline crack. Well known issue.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

    Not listed in the Shelby Register.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    west sussex
    Posts
    83
    When tested for IVA there was a very strong smell of fuel, breather pipe was extended to underside of vehicle as requested by tester as no leaks could be found, however.....

    I removed fuel tank to make seat belt support to meet IVA standards and noticed what the problem was.

    The top of fuel tank showed staining as a result of poor fitting rubber connection pipe from tank to filler cap.

    Note the rubber connection was secured with very tight jubilee clips and when in place you would not think it was the problem, but this still allowed fuel to seep past and cause a smell in boot.

    I cured mine by putting some rubber tape around fuel tank neck, so that hose could just fit over it, then tight jubilee clip... no more problems

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •