Nice video on brakes and servo push rod adjustment

Brake booster checks, operation and push rod adjustment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYYzPIGoxfY

This guy covers how to set up the servo piston rod to master cylinder distance.

If the piston is set to far out you end up with longer travel, spongy brakes, poor or very difficult brake bleeding !

Using simple method of calculating the distance just using a steel ruler and digital Vernier gauge.
    This might solve your problem and a lot of head scratching.

I am going to check mine.
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

Worth pointing out that, in typical YT fashion, the video is about 40 min’s longer than it needs to be and his measurement technique is a bit suspect.
    handy if you have insomnia issues though.

He does like the sound of his own voice.
    There is a tool for depth gauge measurement is more accurate. The work around is open to errors but will get you close.

I stopped watching Andy when his channel became more "scantily clad boobs undoing bolts" than it was actual content.. his older videos (like this one) are better, but best watched at 1.5-2x speed
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I stopped watching Andy when his channel became more "scantily clad boobs undoing bolts" than it was actual content.. his older videos (like this one) are better, but best watched at 1.5-2x speed
    Whoa! What have I been missing? Boobs undoing bolts, they normally tighten my nuts.

Found the time to watch and despite being a bit long winded it was a good refresher. My question now is, in the absence of a “Cobra Workshop” manual how are folks determining what the servo push rod length should be?
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    Found the time to watch and despite being a bit long winded it was a good refresher. My question now is, in the absence of a “Cobra Workshop” manual how are folks determining what the servo push rod length should be?
    Dek
    I suspect that figure may be difficult to find even for a production vehicle. In the absence of this I’d suggest starting with “a wee bit” and if that doesn’t feel right add “a wee bit more”. Using a value of “none” or worse still less should probably be avoided.

Dek,

Most of them are set at 0.020" thou or 0.5mm. I have seen some set at 016" and older VW at 0.040" . A gap is required and some expansion and tolerance. The main part to take away is the push rod is not engaged and pushing on the piston as this is the cause of long pedal travel and difficult brake bleeding as the piston is past the main brake reservoir flow.

There is a great tool which I only have seen in USA but handy to have rather than using a Vernier gauge.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3395956
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Dek,

Most of them are set at 0.020" thou or 0.5mm. I have seen some set at 016" and older VW at 0.040" . A gap is required and some expansion and tolerance. The main part to take away is the push rod is not engaged and pushing on the piston as this is the cause of long pedal travel and difficult brake bleeding as the piston is past the main brake reservoir flow.

There is a great tool which I only have seen in USA but handy to have rather than using a Vernier gauge.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3395956
    Thanks Jon. I think I’ve got the message that it’s more important to have that gap than the actual size of it. But your figures show that it’s quite minimal. Thanks again, I’ll be checking mine now.
    Dek