Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chelmsford Essex
    Posts
    1,668

    Nice video on brakes and servo push rod adjustment

    Brake booster checks, operation and push rod adjustment.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYYzPIGoxfY


    This guy covers how to set up the servo piston rod to master cylinder distance.

    If the piston is set to far out you end up with longer travel, spongy brakes, poor or very difficult brake bleeding !

    Using simple method of calculating the distance just using a steel ruler and digital Vernier gauge.
    This might solve your problem and a lot of head scratching.

    I am going to check mine.
    John Desz

    Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

    Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    740
    Worth pointing out that, in typical YT fashion, the video is about 40 min’s longer than it needs to be and his measurement technique is a bit suspect.
    handy if you have insomnia issues though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chelmsford Essex
    Posts
    1,668
    He does like the sound of his own voice.
    There is a tool for depth gauge measurement is more accurate. The work around is open to errors but will get you close.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northampton
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,837
    I stopped watching Andy when his channel became more "scantily clad boobs undoing bolts" than it was actual content.. his older videos (like this one) are better, but best watched at 1.5-2x speed
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I stopped watching Andy when his channel became more "scantily clad boobs undoing bolts" than it was actual content.. his older videos (like this one) are better, but best watched at 1.5-2x speed
    Whoa! What have I been missing? Boobs undoing bolts, they normally tighten my nuts.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,980
    Found the time to watch and despite being a bit long winded it was a good refresher. My question now is, in the absence of a “Cobra Workshop” manual how are folks determining what the servo push rod length should be?
    Dek

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    Found the time to watch and despite being a bit long winded it was a good refresher. My question now is, in the absence of a “Cobra Workshop” manual how are folks determining what the servo push rod length should be?
    Dek
    I suspect that figure may be difficult to find even for a production vehicle. In the absence of this I’d suggest starting with “a wee bit” and if that doesn’t feel right add “a wee bit more”. Using a value of “none” or worse still less should probably be avoided.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chelmsford Essex
    Posts
    1,668
    Dek,

    Most of them are set at 0.020" thou or 0.5mm. I have seen some set at 016" and older VW at 0.040" . A gap is required and some expansion and tolerance. The main part to take away is the push rod is not engaged and pushing on the piston as this is the cause of long pedal travel and difficult brake bleeding as the piston is past the main brake reservoir flow.

    There is a great tool which I only have seen in USA but handy to have rather than using a Vernier gauge.

    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3395956
    John Desz

    Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

    Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,980
    Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Dek,

    Most of them are set at 0.020" thou or 0.5mm. I have seen some set at 016" and older VW at 0.040" . A gap is required and some expansion and tolerance. The main part to take away is the push rod is not engaged and pushing on the piston as this is the cause of long pedal travel and difficult brake bleeding as the piston is past the main brake reservoir flow.

    There is a great tool which I only have seen in USA but handy to have rather than using a Vernier gauge.

    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3395956
    Thanks Jon. I think I’ve got the message that it’s more important to have that gap than the actual size of it. But your figures show that it’s quite minimal. Thanks again, I’ll be checking mine now.
    Dek

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •