Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Early Dax Wiring Diagram

Hi,

Bit of a long shot , but need some help with a Dax Tojeiro Late 90's build , where the electrics have developed a curious fault, lost most feeds to the fuse block from what I can tell?

The fans and horn have lost power , plus other odd things like hazards (but indicators work)

Trouble is there is no build manual with it , the wiring is certainly NOT this :-

https://cliffgraves.files.wordpress....ng_diagram.pdf

I cannot find a Fan relay anywhere , and wires going to the thermo switch are the same colours as the headlights (Light BLU /White) & a very thin black and white ..possibly earth for the mystical relay??

I don't even know if DAX supplied looms in those days , or if there were different versions of the loom pre 2011, but something to give me a clue would be great !

If you have photocopies, or scanned images even better ?

I'm trying to get the car on the road in order we can commemorate the owner who sadly passed away recently !

Thanks

Rob.

Do you have the old ceramic fuses in a small fuse box on the engine bulk head.
    These fuses corrode so worth checking either side of the fuse incoming and out going.

The electric fan will have a relay which should have its own fuse as its a permanent live feed so the fan works without ignition switch.

My wire loom is a early Dax 90's. I don't have a wiring diagram but the wiring are all very similar. The wire colour code can vary.

The horn again is live feed and believe relay switched.

What is common is the main feed terminal feed wire off the battery positive. It could of been left off when connecting the battery.
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

The wiring diagram you have linked in is for the Ford Sierra steering column. I take it you must have the Triumph Dolomite one?

As John said above it sound like a dodgy earth or corroded fuses.
    I had a problem with my electrics a couple of years ago and after spending some time looking for the bleedin’ obvious, I found a collection of earth straps that were connected to the radiator loose as the bolt had become loose. I was emitting quite a light show during evenings when it was getting dark!
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

This any use - Wiring document I got from Dax back in 1997

https://1drv.ms/b/s!ADIda-dhzZ_Pgss_

Cheers
    Geoff

I have loom diagram from 09 but I think it. Has dates from 2001 on it.?let me know an email and I’ll try and scan to you,Mark.

Thanks guys!!

Geoff , your wiring chart pretty well matches what's connecting to the fuse box , but what's going on down at the fan and therm switch end I'm not sure , I initially swapped BOTH relays over , but that didn't fix it , I wonder if I have a double relay failure , I know from experience these can fail, but equally, this issue all seems to stem from pulling the dash out , to investigate a non functioning fuel gauge , so likely also a wire(s) have been disturbed.

I'll try the easy option first , and buy a pair of "quality" relays , replace those and check the earths as what David suggested , before going in deep.

I really hate wiring faults , especially working blind on somebody elses , but in the end it was working, so can only be relay , fuse , or earth fault , fuses done , will cover the others next.

Of course it could be a fault ignition barrel, but what of more concern is that because the ignition switch is housed on the dash , and not the column , potentially there will be a load of joiners somewhere in the column for these ?

Wish me luck

Rob.

Hi Mark,

That might give me an alternate view of what I already have, as I dont have a point to point wiring diagram, just a chart with connectors and locations.

It would be interested if the option to split the ignition connectors out as part of that diagram?

Just a couple of photos would do , if you cant get your hands on a scanner , phone res these days is pretty damn good !

Cheers

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by cobra351w View Post
    Thanks guys!!

Geoff , your wiring chart pretty well matches what's connecting to the fuse box , but what's going on down at the fan and therm switch end I'm not sure , I initially swapped BOTH relays over , but that didn't fix it , I wonder if I have a double relay failure , I know from experience these can fail, but equally, this issue all seems to stem from pulling the dash out , to investigate a non functioning fuel gauge , so likely also a wire(s) have been disturbed.

I'll try the easy option first , and buy a pair of "quality" relays , replace those and check the earths as what David suggested , before going in deep.

I really hate wiring faults , especially working blind on somebody elses , but in the end it was working, so can only be relay , fuse , or earth fault , fuses done , will cover the others next.

Of course it could be a fault ignition barrel, but what of more concern is that because the ignition switch is housed on the dash , and not the column , potentially there will be a load of joiners somewhere in the column for these ?

Wish me luck

Rob.
    With regards to your relays,
    I would suggest that you go for the 70 amp ones and make sure you use the ones with
    the larger blade terminals .
    Other thing is make sure the female blade terminals that go to the relays are not cooked
    or loose .Mine are crimped and soldered as these thing draw a lot of current.
    Good luck,
    Chris.

Rob, horns fail all the time so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just died, they rust up inside.
    Also have you wired the fan direct to a battery and confirmed it actually works too?
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Kev,

The fans were working a few weeks ago , but coming on too early because of a too low temp fan stat, so I have faith in that , so much the horns though!

Interesting about relays , as I thought generally there were two types 4 & 5 pins (with change over or without) , but looking deeper there are also ones with diodes across relay actuator , now if you read all the general stuff out there about wiring relays, people seem to randomly either wire pin 85 or 86 to ground , this can have bad effects if wired the wrong way , so 86 should be ground , as you just dumping current across the relay .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast