Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Indicator stalks.

I bought an indicator stalk for a classic VW Beetle which would have been perfect except that the actual stalk is dogleg shaped and sits far too close to the steering wheel.
    I don’t have enough room on the dashboard to have a flick switch in the correct position.
    The steering column is a greatly modified Sierra one with all the stalks switch gear mounts removed and the boss rounded down to a barrel.
    What has anyone else fitted, regardless of steering column origin to have a more period looking stalk? There are loads out there but nothing that I have yet found that shouts out perfection.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

The company that made my kit started to manufacture their own steering column about the time I ordered my car. I do have an older assembly manual from them and it appears they used to use a different steering column. This may or may not be of any interest to you. I can scan more of the info if you like.

John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

From csx3000 many 427's had a Lucas stalk, take a look at my post on making my new dash. It's easily available and period correct.

The stalk/column assembly is from a series 1 xj 6 Jag that I use for my
    early Southern Roadcraft .
    It has a self cancelling system for the indicators and the head lamps operate
    high & low beam from the same stalk .
    The stalk is chrome and has a black end that is flatish in shape.
    I think it looks good and that's all that matters.
    The other thing is the column assembly is turned over so the stalk is on
    the left side .
    Chris.

The Beetle/Karmann Ghia stalk is the correct part, I think the later 427s having the one with the momentary switch to switch the headlight dim/dip via a relay. If you do use that, be aware that if its the repro part commonly available does have a quality issue in that the rotary action eventually cuts through the wire to the momentary switch, so watch for that if you have one. You can easily see where it will happen by looking at the switch, the wires have a cover but it wears through.

Over in the US I've heard of them using classic mini stalks for a period look and a non cranked stalk. There's an early one with a built in green light or one with a chrome momentary button. Might be worth a look.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Thanks,

Grumbleweed

If you're not meant to eat animals, how come they're made of meat!?

I've just ordered the older (early 60's) MG item as this is a strap on stalk and looks pretty good. Polished stalk with the plastic flattened end and only slightly cranked. That should solve my problem. Just need a cowl now but will look for one of those once I am satisfied the stalk is the correct and usable one.
    May have two original classic VW ones going for grabs soon. These will have been dismantled, service, painted satin black and reassembled and tested prior to selling if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your responses.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

I have a brand new LHD MGB cowl which means that the stalk comes out on the left and it then is on the same side as a COB, if you use a RHD MGB one then it comes out on the wrong side. Not using the cowl if you are interested. You can have it at a discount to what I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    I've just ordered the older (early 60's) MG item as this is a strap on stalk and looks pretty good. Polished stalk with the plastic flattened end and only slightly cranked. That should solve my problem. Just need a cowl now but will look for one of those once I am satisfied the stalk is the correct and usable one.
    May have two original classic VW ones going for grabs soon. These will have been dismantled, service, painted satin black and reassembled and tested prior to selling if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your responses.
    David, I'd take one of the original VW ones off your hands - both of mine have been the modern reproductions; one ended up in the bin and the other one is already a little 'iffy' despite having been apart and put back together by me (on receipt it didn't work at all as the contacts inside were covered in a healthy layer of verdigris!)
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    I have a brand new LHD MGB cowl which means that the stalk comes out on the left and it then is on the same side as a COB, if you use a RHD MGB one then it comes out on the wrong side. Not using the cowl if you are interested. You can have it at a discount to what I paid for it.
    PM sent to you.
    David.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast