Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by david.mt View Post
    I added an EFI kit to a basic SBC350 - better manners - easy hot and cold start and mild power to 320bhp and nice flat torque curve with a 310 ft/lbs peak at 3400rpm. Will looks to add a bit more in due course but fun doing it in stages.
    Seeing as I drive my cob all year then this might be a good idea so that AFR is better suited to all of our wonderful British temperatures!! I guess that if/when I upgrade cams/head/manifold the EFI will automatically adjust to the upgrades too?

Quote Originally Posted by zac View Post
    Seeing as I drive my cob all year then this might be a good idea so that AFR is better suited to all of our wonderful British temperatures!! I guess that if/when I upgrade cams/head/manifold the EFI will automatically adjust to the upgrades too?
    I suspect that will depend on the ECU that comes with the EFI and how it is tuned - mine has a self learning auto tune option which is helpful for getting the car running but I have turned it off and gone for the good old fashioned dyno map.

the world is your oyster with regards to tuning the 350 - it all depends on how deep are your pockets?

Stroker kit probably gives you the best bang/buck but plenty of other options available (procharger )
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

If your engine can't breathe freely then the cam can be of limited benefit, heads will on the other hand add power and be good with whatever you do next including extracting all the power gains from a hotter cam as it will now breath freely and they will also benefit you if you ever decide to stroke your engine. JMHO
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    the world is your oyster with regards to tuning the 350 - it all depends on how deep are your pockets?

Stroker kit probably gives you the best bang/buck but plenty of other options available (procharger )

Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?"

https://clip.cafe/mad-max-1979/like-the-sign-says/

Thats the same block as I have and it is said to be : 3970010, Year 69-79 - 302/350car & Truck 2 & 4-Bolt (Most common)
    I have not had the sump off mine yet to confirm if its a 2 or 4 bolt main.

Hi, I've got a modified zz4 Chevy crate engine. As a normal zz4 it produced 355 bhp and 405 ft / flb
    For the road I think that's plenty. But I wanted to "do" track days and drag racing, so GM roller hot cam, 1:6 rockers, loads of headwork , carb work, new clutch and it's now 391 bhp and 440 ft/lbs. Fine for the track and 50 bhp short for the drag strip! it is still very drivable with 400 ft/lbs from 2000 rpm .So you as people have said need to work out what you want and find a set up to produce it. Unless you want 500 bhp I don't believe you need to go to a stroker 383. Just my 6 pence worth!
    Cheers Clive

My first Dax had a 383 stroker in it which was 440bhp and 440 lbsft torque.
    It was plenty exciting enough.
    The Contemporary had a 445 Bigblock FE, which I original ran at over 500bhp.
    I ended up reducing the cam and carb specs, it wasn't happy in traffic.
    It ended up at around 470bhp but was an absolute joy to drive.
    The last Dax was a an LS2 with 400bhp out of the box.
    Beautifully driveable and economy too.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Mine was a stroker a bit softer than Kevs first car, mine was dyno'd 375hp and 400lbft when it was first on the road, just a carb swap got me to 425/425 measured on a different dyno which I think was suspiciously generous and I reckon in reality it was about 400hp and the same 400lbft but with peak torque a couple of hundred rpm's lower which I preferred for general driving.

The extra 25 or 30HP I don't think I really noticed it at all but the improved driveability totally transformed the car into a real pleasure to drive - being able to just leave it in 4th gear on a mix of twisty and short straights and let it effortlessly dig itself out of low revs then catapult you to the next accident scene . If I was building again that's where I would focus instead of "whats the most HP I can afford"

Dave A

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    My first Dax had a 383 stroker in it which was 440bhp and 440 lbsft torque.
    It was plenty exciting enough.
    The Contemporary had a 445 Bigblock FE, which I original ran at over 500bhp.
    I ended up reducing the cam and carb specs, it wasn't happy in traffic.
    It ended up at around 470bhp but was an absolute joy to drive.
    The last Dax was a an LS2 with 400bhp out of the box.
    Beautifully driveable and economy too.
    I loved my FE when it was cammed right up but you are spot on, total pain in traffic! I got fed up of having to stop it on the handbrake in order to keep it running! Those LS engines are so good and totally well mannered. They are good for everything, light, fast and behave in traffic. Decent mpg too. My lad runs a 480hp one. It's brilliant. Not that I am going to swap my FE for anything! I have too much emotional attachment - I've been with it longer than the wife!!!!

The original OP was for improving a 350 on a budget though! Switching to an LS is probably a good few quid and a fair bit of work.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123