Thread: Engine Number

Engine Number

I need to stamp my identification plate with the engine number, its already been stamped with the chassis number by the manufacturer. I found the engine number where it should have been and it reads 3F4F605J . The engine being a small block Chevy and imported from the states. The question is can i go ahead and stamp the plate with these numbers. The dilemma is that these numbers do not seem to fall into any listed category, but does that matter ?. Is this something that,s sorted during third party engine certification/identification say for instance by Peter Knight racing. I just want to get the plate stamped and fixed to the chassis.
    Any advice appreciated.

You don't need the engine no. stamped on the chassis plate.
    It does need to be readable on the the engine by the the IVA inspector if possible.
    That does sound like a Chevy engine no.
    Peter Knight can use that no. for his documentation etc.
    He will require photographs of the casting no.s etc.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

That,s interesting KD.
    I have the chassis plate supplied by AK which has an area specifically for the engine number, I also took some photographs of the stamped numbers behind the alternator on the front of the cylinder head which are visible and can be used to send to Peter Knight
    Racing and if required as proof for the IVA inspector. Casting numbers also have been photographed.
    I think I will stamp the plate with the numbers I have as i cant see what else the stamped numbers are for (in other words they must be the engine numbers).
    Thanks for the reply.

You say the numbers are on the front of the cylinder head? They will not be the engine No, that will be on the block not the heads.

I had some challenges with my old Ford block for IVA. I looked up as much as possible material on the internet about engine codes for my engine. Then took pictures of the block and head casting numbers and took them all to Southern GT who were brilliant and certified my engine for only £25.
    As others say, no need for it to be on the plate.
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Sorry the numbers are on the block, its difficult to see where the block is and where the heads start.

The numbers could of been re-stamped on the block if its had a previous rebuild and head skim. You should also have a date code along with the engine number if one is missing then its probably re-stamped. If its over bored is another give away.
    Once you have a date code confirmed and certified you should be good at the IVA . Take as much paper work with you as possible and photos of the numbers.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL