Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks to Drammyboy and Clive for the warning about midges, I thought we’d be out of range by the time they appeared, maybe not. Biting insects find me very tasty and if they have the same affinity for yellow cars as thunder bugs do it could be bad. Good advice too from Russ (brave man cycling in that terrain) Charlie, Lloyd, Roger and others for the hints & tips.

Here’s hoping that Scottish lockdown is eased tomorrow

Breakdown cover already sorted !
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Midges!
    Never had a problem with them since using Skin so Soft by Avon.
    We were advised to use it after talking to an elderly lady on Islay.
    The lady told us that a large number of fishermen had been using it for years.
    It was only available from Avon reps. and not sold via retail however we saw it for sale in an angling/sporting shop in Fort William.
    I can definitely say 'it works for us'.

Roger

I ordered Skin so Soft yesterday. On offer at present from Avon
    Charlie
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Hi David

We did it just before lockdown in the camper van last year. Windproof jacket is a must! As others have said
    Durness, Smoo caves, Dunnet Head, Sinclair castle (ruin) with lighthouse a short stroll away.

Lochinver pie shop is worth a visit for lunch, Applecross inn - great hospitality

On the way down you could come down the side of Loch Ness to Fort Augustus and down via Fort William to Crianlarich then Dunblane

I've dropped you a pm with some info.

Cheers
    Andy
    Last edited by Andy76; 12-05-21 at 09:22 PM.
    Andy
    Dax- 350 Chevy, Holley Carb - Loads of smiles to the gallon SOLD
    AK- 383 Chevy - Even more smiles to even more gallons

Thanks Andy, you had me at Pie shop

Thanks too for your PM, I’ve replied to it - much obliged.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter29 View Post

Anyone got any good ideas ? Must sees, places to stay

If it is open.......

Stop off at Peebles and see that fantastic Great Polish Map of Scotland at Barony castle

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...2!4d-3.2171675

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gr...!1BCgIgARICCAI

Guys I’m hoping to do it next year, looking at the map from south to north is it better to go clockwise or anti-clockwise?.
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by mark chambers View Post
    Guys I’m hoping to do it next year, looking at the map from south to north is it better to go clockwise or anti-clockwise?.
    Living in the Highlands I am always slightly reluctant to give advice on the NC500 because it has brought the masses to many of the once empty and un-policed roads I used to enjoy, however I am happy to make an exception for fellow Cobra enthusiasts.

With regard to which direction to travel all I can say is that if you drive up the west coast you will probably be disappointed when you drive down the east coast, the scenery and roads are very different. The west coast is soaring mountains, dramatic sea lochs and epic views across to the islands. The east coast A9 by contrast is the main arterial route north and as such is busy with the usual cars and lorries along with a healthy dose of speed camera vans. Its also fairly straight and a bit uninspiring, to one side the expanse of the North sea to the other side mostly farm land.

Unless it is important for you to complete the NC500 in its entirety then my advice would be to drive north up the west coast route enjoying the fantastic scenery (unfortunately probably following multiple camper vans, cyclists and many other NC500 participants). As you eventually head east across the top of the country on the A838, instead of heading all the way across and then south on the A9 you should head south at Tongue on the A836 heading for Lairg. This will take you through the wilds of Sutherland free from the NC500 traffic with a fantastic (hopefully empty) driving road in front of you. At Lairg take the A839 and then join the A9 and head into the lovely old town of Dornoch and enjoy the beautiful beaches. It's then an hour south down the A9 to Inverness where the NC500 starts/finishes.

It may be that most people will prefer to complete the north east section of the NC500 and visit John O' Groats and then head south on the A9, but if you feel the need to break free from the crowd then I hope you find my alternative route south an enjoyable diversion.
    Last edited by bigblock427; 13-05-21 at 12:54 AM.

CONTEMPORARY CCX3-3741

FORD RACING DIVISION 515ci
    JERICO WC4 (Sold)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cGUj87r9bY

Quote Originally Posted by minesamalt View Post
    Midges!
    Never had a problem with them since using Skin so Soft by Avon.
    We were advised to use it after talking to an elderly lady on Islay.
    The lady told us that a large number of fishermen had been using it for years.
    It was only available from Avon reps. and not sold via retail however we saw it for sale in an angling/sporting shop in Fort William.
    I can definitely say 'it works for us'.

Roger
    Avon Skin So Soft, a favourite with the Royal Marines, no longer has the chemical that repels midges.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Avon Skin So Soft, a favourite with the Royal Marines, no longer has the chemical that repels midges.
    Bugger ! just ordered a big bottle of it too Thanks for the heads up though Clive.

Also thanks also to Bigblock for his excellent suggestions. A week to go and my wife is wanting to alter the itinerary and some of the hotels too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast