Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NC500 -Any tips ?

Two weeks tomorrow we’re off to the NC500, starting somewhere near Applecross on the west coast and staying in Armorel, Rhiconich and John O’Groats (ie clockwise) before stopping in Dunblane and joining an organised tour for a couple of days. In total, 1741 miles and 35 hours of driving across 7 days as we’re stopping on the way up and the way back, all in the Cobra, fingers crossed. By coincidence, Charlie and others from East Mids are setting off the day before and going anti-clockwise.

We found the accommodation from AirBnB.

After this conversation started on another thread I thought it might be an idea to start one specifically about the NC500.

Anyone got any good ideas ? Must sees, places to stay, that sort of thing ? How did you get on when you went around ?

A mate said the pass over the mountain to Applecross is great, and that some of the beaches were the best in the world ,but he also said we’d spend all the time in passing bays.

Advice welcome.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by drammyboy View Post
    Love it!!!
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

Never done the NC500 but the pass of the cattle over to Applecross is well worth it. If you are leaving towards the north then the road around the periphery of Applecross is great too. If you are looking for a place to stay near there, Plockton is a rather pleasant place with plenty of beers to choose from in the hotel.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    Plockton is a rather pleasant place with......
    .........a tiny fish & chip shop. .Was it a wee garage for a bike or garden shed?

Graham found a very good site on Facebook which is user friendly and full of interesting points. Look for NC500 Everything. I wonder at what point our paths will cross. Really looking forward to it and trust this bad weather moves away before the trip.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter29 View Post
    Two weeks tomorrow we’re off to the NC500, starting somewhere near Applecross on the west coast and staying in Armorel, Rhiconich and John O’Groats (ie clockwise) before stopping in Dunblane and joining an organised tour for a couple of days. In total, 1741 miles and 35 hours of driving across 7 days as we’re stopping on the way up and the way back, all in the Cobra, fingers crossed. By coincidence, Charlie and others from East Mids are setting off the day before and going anti-clockwise.

We found the accommodation from AirBnB.

After this conversation started on another thread I thought it might be an idea to start one specifically about the NC500.

Anyone got any good ideas ? Must sees, places to stay, that sort of thing ? How did you get on when you went around ?

A mate said the pass over the mountain to Applecross is great, and that some of the beaches were the best in the world ,but he also said we’d spend all the time in passing bays.

Advice welcome.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Been there done that David.
    I bought a Hyundai Coupe, in February 2020, to do the run at Easter 2020.
    Covid put paid to that.
    However, slight let up later in the year allowed me to do it in September.
    It soon became clear that our family had 'done it' some years ago before it became famous.
    3 days 2 night's 1512 miles.
    One thing is a must (imho) breakdown cover, very, very isolated on the North West, North Coast.
    It would be great to talk to you before you set off.
    Same goes to Charlies group.

Roger

David,

I've done a bit of cycling up the west and north coasts. Agree that Applecross and Plockton are worth dropping into (and the pub in each too). If you turn west at Shiel Bridge you can go up the Ratagan Pass and take the small 'Sky Boat' ferry to Kylerhea and continue on to the Sky Bridge and on to Plockton. The ferry is the last turn-table ferry boat. The angle on the ramp to the ferry could be a bit awkward if you are in the Cobra. Depends on the tide.
    Glenfinnan is worth visiting, even if you're not a Harry Potter fan. Bonny Prince Charlie set off from there to invade London but only made it as far as Swalkstone Bridge (near our Coopers Arms club meet place) before high-tailing it back to Scotland.
    Ullapool has one of the best chippies in the country.
    If you fancy taking the ferry from Tobermory (nice village with a couple of pubs) then your can visit Ardnamurchan Point, the most westerly place in mainland Britain and regularly featured on the shipping forecast.
    Inveraray is nice village with a castle to see.
    Durness has a nice beach and Smoo caves for a quick stop off.
    The sea stacks at Dunnets Head (past Thurso) are worth seeing and I can recommend the Queen Mum's cafe at the Castle of Mey.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

Quote Originally Posted by minesamalt View Post
    Been there done that David.......
    It would be great to talk to you before you set off.
    Same goes to Charlies group.

Roger
    Great to hear from you Roger, I’ve got your number, I’ll call you
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast