Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter29 View Post
    Apologies for the minor deviation of the thread, does anyone know if it is possible to change the seat belts without removing the fuel tank in a Mk2 Sumo ?
    I don't think Sumo 3 mounting is any different to your Sumo 2, if that's the case you will have to remove fuel tank.

The two bolts on top for inertia seat belts are no problem, these go into welded nuts on the support bracket (the one I,m having IVA issue with).

But there are two bolts that secure fixing below the inertia belts fixings, these two bolts go through a plate welded to mounting bracket and are removed from inside the boot, behind fuel tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you, That’s really helpful with the pic and has saved me undoing the seatbelts and then hearing the tinkle of the nuts dropping behind the fuel tank.

Good luck getting your IVA woes sorted.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

you can remove the top fixings and go in from the roll bar mountings if you adapt a spanner and put it on a long pole.
    thats what did when i got the car painted. tank never came out from the day it was installed, like this ....
    http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/sho...paint2/cat/500
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    you can remove the top fixings and go in from the roll bar mountings if you adapt a spanner and put it on a long pole.
    thats what did when i got the car painted. tank never came out from the day it was installed, like this ....
    http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/sho...paint2/cat/500
    To be fair I didn't find removing tank any real problem, undo feed pipe and pump (2 screws) disconnect filler pipe (2 jubilee clips) and undo the 4 bolts that hold tank in, this required friend in boot while I was underneath undoing the nuts.

I intend to make up two brackets with nuts welded in position so it's only a one man job after tank is refitted.

I think it took longer to empty the full tank of fuel as (required for IVA test) then it did to remove the tank!

you can remove the top fixings and go in from the roll bar mountings if you adapt a spanner and put it on a long pole........
    That's really ingenious, not sure my towel rail roll bar holes are in the right place. It's worth a look tho, thank you Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboFreak View Post
    To be fair I didn't find removing tank any real problem .......
    Maybe when I'm feeling brave, and not likely to use it for a while. My tank still has 9 litres in it even when it "runs out" of petrol. Cheers
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

UPDATE:

It appears on-going problem as tester stands by refusing to pass seat belts as mounted to Pilgrim Sumo mounting bracket.

A) He needs to see FULL stress test report but only has part of it from 1988 stress test?

b) He needs evidence seat belts mounted exactly as the belts for the type approved test.

I did explain that there was only one way to fit belts onto the Pilgrim Sumo mounting bracket, but he would not accept this, however as fuel tank is removed I have photo evidence, so advice to anyone doing a Cobra replica build make sure you take photo when belts fitted prior to fitting the fuel tank.

This issue really needs to be resolved so others avoid the same problem as I have.

John at Pilgrim Motor Sport technical support has now taken this matter over with IVA examiners to try to resolve it once and for all.

Think you just have to wait for the final outcome.
    Either Pilgrim will have to build cars differently or a compromise of some sort provided to everyone's satisfaction.

A solution could look something like:

Pilgrim submit full documentation on seat belt tests as Swansea, currently not in possession of a satisfactory set of documentary evidence;
    Central records updated and circulated to all test centres;

Then:
    photographic evidence of correct installation presented before fuel tank installed, as per manual which is supplied and presented at the time of the test,
    and
    seat belts meet BS standards,
    and
    seta belts fitted with correct nuts'n'bolts;

then: Pass seatbelts.

Everyone happy.

I should have been a Brexit negotiator.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Either Pilgrim will have to build cars differently or a compromise of some sort provided to everyone's satisfaction.
    I think you can probably delete 'Either' and everything after 'or' - government departments (of any ilk, ours or EU) not known for compromise..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I think you can probably delete 'Either' and everything after 'or' - government departments (of any ilk, ours or EU) not known for compromise..
    I have every faith in a constructive solution being devised at Swansea.

A pint, when we eventually meet, says I'm right. Shake on it ?
    Crendon Chassis No.49

It's a deal .. I've lost track of whether or not we're allowed to shake hands though
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast