Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well I will give it a couple of weeks in hope Pilgrim Motor Sport can sort it out with IVA testers.

John at Pilgrim seems to know a lot of people high up in the system so might get something sorted, if not....

Buy the metal work to make a triangulated and braced frame, cut out existing T bracket mounting from shell and weld to new triangulated framework.

Weld or bolt to chassis.

Fuel tank will need relocating about 5cm further to rear to clear framework.

Cut new hole for fuel filler.

Repair old hole with fibreglass, prepare, primer and paint.

Fit 2 new white stripes.

Job done ...

Still no update on the seat belt mounting issue that Pilgrim Motorsport have with IVA examiners and no reply from email to Pilgrim 5 days ago asking for update

So decided to go ahead and make new support frame to IVA standards, more complicated then I hoped it would be.

To make a support that is triangulated and braced was not too difficult but getting it to fit was tricky.

Basically you can not fit a complete frame that's mounted to chassis as it's simply to wide to fit through the narrow boot aperture, so needs to be made in sections and bolted together in place.

This framework could be one welded piece if fitted prior to putting the bodyshell onto the chassis.

Anyway 2 days later it's done, now need to make new hole for fuel tank filler as tank needs to be reposition to clear the new framework, then repair and paint as required.

If Pilgrim Motorsport do not get their stress test report accepted then this might be what they require on future Pilgrim Sumo Cobra replicas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just seen another guy on the Pilgrim Sumo f/b page had the same problem at Gillingham.
    His solution was a forward bracing arrangement in the cockpit.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Just seen another guy on the Pilgrim Sumo f/b page had the same problem at Gillingham.
    His solution was a forward bracing arrangement in the cockpit.
    The tester at Gillingham did mention he had seen someone do that, maybe the same guy?

I really can't imagine how it could be done with forward triangulation bracing and look any good, and there isn't much room in the cockpit as there is, the triangulated support would need to go outside of seats

Well bodywork done and painted today, new stripes being fitted Tuesday then just need to refit fuel tank and petrol pump.

Booked in for 7th June for retest

Then fit classic period seats, new carpet, wooden steering wheel, exhaust covers back on, badges back on, wheel centres with dummy spinners back on, fit wind wings and sun visors

Quote Originally Posted by TurboFreak View Post
    The tester at Gillingham did mention he had seen someone do that, maybe the same guy?

I really can't imagine how it could be done with forward triangulation bracing and look any good, and there isn't much room in the cockpit as there is, the triangulated support would need to go outside of seats

Well bodywork done and painted today, new stripes being fitted Tuesday then just need to refit fuel tank and petrol pump.

Booked in for 7th June for retest

Then fit classic period seats, new carpet, wooden steering wheel, exhaust covers back on, badges back on, wheel centres with dummy spinners back on, fit wind wings and sun visors
    So, are you saying on an open forum, that anyone can read, that once you've complied with making the vehicle legal you're going to change a lot of the legal things to illegal ones that, if fitted, wouldn't pass IVA? Bit reckless isn't it??
    BIG TONE

Mercedes SL owner, definitely NOT a kitcar owner like you lot!

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    So, are you saying on an open forum, that anyone can read, that once you've complied with making the vehicle legal you're going to change a lot of the legal things to illegal ones that, if fitted, wouldn't pass IVA? Bit reckless isn't it??
    You sound like you think testers are stupid, they know only to well what goes on, bit insulting to their intelligence to suggest they don't

They even advised me that you can buy IVA kits simply used to get a vehicle past the test, they just need to check that anything on vehicle appears permanent at time of being tested.

Pilgrim loan out items such as mirrors simply to enable a pass.

So not reckless, just the real world.
    Last edited by TurboFreak; 31-05-21 at 08:40 AM.

You sound like you think testers are stupid, they know only to well what goes on, bit insulting to their intelligence to suggest they don't

They even advised me that you can buy IVA kits simply used to get a vehicle past the test, they just need to check that anything on vehicle appears permanent at time of being tested.

Pilgrim loan out items such as mirrors simply to enable a pass.

So not reckless, just the real world.
    Hope you're also informing your insurance company that the car will be "not as tested"
    BIG TONE

Mercedes SL owner, definitely NOT a kitcar owner like you lot!

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    Hope you're also informing your insurance company that the car will be "not as tested"
    Yes of course, everyone lets insurance companies know if they fit a spoiler, a badge or change seats, I even advise mine if I fit a different radio. The front indicators had to have the lower half blacked out as too low... so reduced visibility by 50% for the IVA test (stupid but true), so will of course advise them when there changed back as I'm more visible when turning so might get insurance discount.

Yes of course, everyone lets insurance companies know if they fit a spoiler, a badge or change seats, I even advise mine if I fit a different radio. The front indicators had to have the lower half blacked out as too low... so reduced visibility by 50% for the IVA test (stupid but true), so will of course advise them when there changed back as I'm more visible when turning so might get insurance discount.
    That's a good idea, and a requirement in some of the insurance small print that I've read.
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

Passed IVA yesterday

The examiners are concerned with Pilgrim Motorsports basic seat belt support bracket as it's only fibreglass that holds it into bulkhead of the bodyshell, they are not convinced this is strong enough to hold in 30mph stress test.

They also said if the Pigrim stress test was a TUV test carried out in Germany (which I believe it was) then it would not/should not be recognised at UK IVA tests.

They were very impressed with the triangulated support I fixed into position and bolted to rear chassis either side of petrol tank, they took my photos and their own of this and will use it in there on-going 'discussion' with Pilgrim as they believe this is what they should be fitting into the Cobra Sumo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast