Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    21

    Time to repack side pipes?

    Hi All, my Dax has the 5" side pipes and the drivers side has I suspect loose baffle, there is a Tek screw wound in near the collector. Why does a baffle come loose? is the packing doing the supporting? I took the tip off the passenger side and all looks ok (is it usual for the wadding to disintegrate at the collector end first? I didn't pull the 3" baffle out. Do I need to remove the rear wheel to get the baffle out/in? Thanks for any pointers.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    620
    I have the same problem, rattling side pipes. Especially at traffic lights. Those two bolts in my side pipes have long gone. I suspect that mine need taking apart and new serrated baffles fitting, then repacking. The car has only done 7000 miles but she is 18 years old.
    I would remove the offending one and take it to a specialist exhaust place and get it looked at. I have one local to here in Bournemouth. I may give them a go.

    Anyone else? Is this a common problem with side pipes? Noted these two are Dax pipes.
    David.

    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

    Wessex region caretaker rep.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    21
    Hi David, mine has roughly the same miles and years, what/where are the two bolts you mentioned?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    620
    The same ones you mentioned. I have a hole in exactly the same place on both pipes, on the underside near the front. I have no idea what bolts these are. Thread size? Self tapping? No clue. It’s my guess they are to hold the internals in place.
    David.

    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

    Wessex region caretaker rep.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Stroud, Cotswolds
    Age
    35
    Posts
    118
    I changed my internals from 2inches to 3 inches a year or so ago. Easy to do even for a non-mechanically minded person as me.

    Bolts were 10mm self tapping from memory. Think they’re there to hold the internal baffles in place. Think I had 3 bolts per side, and yes the old wadding was worse at the collector end.

    If you’re going to do this (and want a bigger internals at the same time) then also look at creating a vortex thingymigiggy in there. I’m sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon to give further better qualified guidance.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    21
    Hi All, so yesterday I stripped out the baffles and wadding from both sides. There were two 50x5 Tek screws holding each baffle but one near the collector on the passenger side was broken. The wadding was original DJ Sportscars (labels still attached) and both sides felt as if they had collapsed near the middle, 3" baffles were good. I gently unrolled the wadding and they were both brittle and broken up. I have ordered 2 x 1000 x 600 wadding (same size as original when unrolled) and 4 metres of stainless steel 4" wool from Exhaust Parts UK for £39.00 all in which should turn up tomorrow. When it stops raining I'll put it all back together and let you know how it went. Easy peasy so far.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    20
    Hope that resolves the issue. Looking forward to your update.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    21
    So, all back together. Started her up and hooray no more baffle rattle, does it sound quieter? nope, still sounds like armageddon but with a slightly deeper growl. For those thinking about doing the same ,as I will again shortly, remember Pi and get enough wadding to go round the baffle twice, I miscalculated the width by about 75mm. So 1000 x 700 will do nicely, also 5 metres of the stainless steel wool would be better. 1" masking tape spiral wound worked for holding it in place while I slid it into the outer tube. Fixing the Tek screws was made easy by using an 8mm type socket with a 6mm male drive for a cordless drill, not to tight or you will deform the outer tube. Strangely, the car seems to be up in power, more responsive. Time wise I reckon I could do it in about an hour a side now. Took it out for a 10 mile squirt and got rained on, happy days. One other thing, that mask you've been wearing for covid, keep it on while you wrap the wadding, the fibres stick to your face!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    620
    Good job. Maybe that’s all that mine requires. I know someone with wadding he can sell me. I’m just worried that if I take mine apart to do the same, I will find something else wrong with them which will put me off the road for even longer. Not that I can drive it at the moment with the jet stream sitting where it is which is driving all this crap weather!
    David.

    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

    Wessex region caretaker rep.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    20
    Great to hear it turns out great. The deeper growl sounds like a good harmony.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •