Thread: Windscreen Seal

Windscreen Seal

My windscreen seal doesn't make contact with the bodywork as it should.

The windscreen is from Brasscraft, the rake is set correctly and the screen lower edge clears the body by about 1/2mm in the middle and at both ends. But the seal doesn't contact the body in the valleys between the bonnet and the wings on both sides.

Has anyone else come across this and found a way of overcoming it........?

Cheers. Nigel
    AK Gen 3 with LS3. Build start January 2019

www.flickr.com/photos/marlinbuild/

Hi Nigel,
    I should think you need to 'pull' the rubber seal forward more than you think. I also 'pushed' it forward with my fingers from cockpit side.
    The rubber grips the body a bit too well, so constant pushing of the seal whilst pushing down on the screen should sort.

One trial fitting i sprayed some rubber lubricant, which unstuck it from the body and assisted fitting, but it makes a bit of a black mess.

EDIT- i re-read your post and sounds like screen is low enough. Maybe some hot water on the seal will make it try to return to original shape and kind of snug down into the valleys ?

Russ
    www.russhowell.com

I seem to remember that you need to remove the seal and insert the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by britainj View Post
    I seem to remember that you need to remove the seal and insert the other way round.
    That was the recommended way ay one point, not sure what AK recommend now.
    BIG TONE

Mercedes SL owner, definitely NOT a kitcar owner like you lot!

I've tried manipulating the seal. Unfortunately that hasn't helped. I haven't spoken to AK yet though. I'll give them a call to see if they come up with anything.

Thanks.

Hi Nigel,

I seem to remember when I did mine I had to open out the pre cut slots for the screen rails.
    My seal was barely touching in the valleys and I think moved it rearwards about 5-6mm to get a decent seal.
    It doesn't sound a lot but when you factor in how the rake is set that was enough.

The rubber has a curve, that curve should face downward to force against the body!

Steve
    AK 427, Chevy 350, Jag Getrag

If you can make it - MAKE IT!

Just to confirm that in 22yrs on the road, the pressure of the seal against the body has never leaked and that's without any sealant applied.

Steve
    AK 427, Chevy 350, Jag Getrag

If you can make it - MAKE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by incey1966 View Post
    I seem to remember when I did mine I had to open out the pre cut slots for the screen rails.
    My seal was barely touching in the valleys and I think moved it rearwards about 5-6mm to get a decent seal.
    It doesn't sound a lot but when you factor in how the rake is set that was enough.
    I need to do the same on my car (a Dax, granted) as water tends to come in under the seal in the valleys, even though it looks like the seal is touching nicely - when I tested the windscreen washers I got a wet leg

I went looking at Nigel's pictures and his looks to be much more firmly in contact than my seal is, though! https://www.flickr.com/photos/marlinbuild/48677810378/ Maybe too close in the middle is as bad as too far?
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I need to do the same on my car (a Dax, granted) as water tends to come in under the seal in the valleys, even though it looks like the seal is touching nicely - when I tested the windscreen washers I got a wet leg

I went looking at Nigel's pictures and his looks to be much more firmly in contact than my seal is, though! https://www.flickr.com/photos/marlinbuild/48677810378/ Maybe too close in the middle is as bad as too far?

Thanks for reminding me of that picture. That was the previous seal which I replaced with a new one from Brasscraft because it had be come so distorted / fluted. But that seal appears to sit in the valleys much better than the new one and makes me question whether the old and the new seals are the same width. I've still got the old one. Ill check it out.