Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: poor starting

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hockley ,Essex
    Age
    58
    Posts
    441
    You can also disengage the clutch when cranking, therefore
    not turning gearbox and the cold oil, that will give a bit more
    cranking efficiency that being hot or cold.
    Presuming it's a manual shift .
    Chris.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chelmsford Essex
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by pete knighton View Post
    as my battery is in the boot i have 10mm cable which i think is good enough, checked all earths today cleaned and refitted still same, as Jon said i have a feeling its the starter
    I would definitely upgrade the cable regardless.

    1. 10mm OD is only 170 Amp your cable
    2. 12.7 mm OD is rated 300 Amp
    3. 13.5 mm OD is rated 345 Amp
    4. 14.6 mm OD is rated 415 Amp

    Your cold crank battery is near 600 Amp capacity so you are loosing a lot on 10mm OD. The cross sectional area goes up a considerable, taking you back to pie days A=Pi x r2. By going from 10mm to 14.6mm you are increasing you current capacity by almost 2 1/2 times. Regardless I would upgrade your cable.
    I would use 50mm² OD 13.5 mm and rated 345 Amp so doubling the capacity of your present cable and also use this for your earths.

    https://www.electricalcarservices.co...8-170-450-4104

    Hi Flex Battery Cable 345A 50mm² FLEX50 OD 13.5mm
    John Desz

    Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

    Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    You can also disengage the clutch when cranking, therefore
    not turning gearbox and the cold oil, that will give a bit more
    cranking efficiency that being hot or cold.
    Presuming it's a manual shift .
    Chris.

    I'm surprised at anybody not doing that, maybe I'm just old fashioned (or maybe just old!). I was taught to do that while learning to drive and more importantly why (as I'm a bit of a rebel and don't like to do things just because I was told), so I've done it since. I guess it you look hard enough you could find a reason not to do it though, wear on clutch bearing, thrust on crank for instance.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northampton
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,837
    My daily (well, the manual one) won't even let you try and start without the clutch down - common in the US I think, and seems to have appeared with push-button starts over here.. or maybe I just can't remember the last car I had with a key you turned (obviously the autos need to be in park with foot on brake)
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hockley ,Essex
    Age
    58
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    My daily (well, the manual one) won't even let you try and start without the clutch down - common in the US I think, and seems to have appeared with push-button starts over here.. or maybe I just can't remember the last car I had with a key you turned (obviously the autos need to be in park with foot on brake)
    Same here with one of Focus daily drivers.
    Your correct about the NAO vehicles, they had this system a while back .
    When I worked at Frauds we use to call it the idiot proof system.
    I personally don't think it is necessary and was a known fact on a driving test back in
    Flintstones period, if you was not seen to make sure your handbrake was on and gearbox in neutral
    before you went for the keys, you would fail test before you had even started. No requirement to
    declutch and was seen perfectly acceptable to do so .
    If you managed to start in gear, low and behold you would have the same result !
    It is still a good idea to declutch for the best starting performance though.
    Chris.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northampton
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    If you managed to start in gear, low and behold you would have the same result !
    Every now and then I'll pass a stranded car and think to myself .. "Would be easy to bump up that kerb and out of the way on the starter" - then I remember that the nanny systems (and/or automatic gearboxes) mean you can't do that kind of thing to get yourself out of trouble anymore

    Like when the clutch cable went in my old Renault 19 and the AA man started it in gear and drove it on to the back of the transporter with no clutch.. (Bet the H&S elves wouldn't allow that these days, either!)
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hockley ,Essex
    Age
    58
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Every now and then I'll pass a stranded car and think to myself .. "Would be easy to bump up that kerb and out of the way on the starter" - then I remember that the nanny systems (and/or automatic gearboxes) mean you can't do that kind of thing to get yourself out of trouble anymore

    Like when the clutch cable went in my old Renault 19 and the AA man started it in gear and drove it on to the back of the transporter with no clutch.. (Bet the H&S elves wouldn't allow that these days, either!)
    Managed to drive an escort van back from London with a broken clutch cable, battery was good so starting in gear was ok
    When having to stop for a red light !
    You could easily change gear on the old Fords without clutch because they were good.
    Chris.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northampton
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,837
    Had it not been rush hour, I might have been temped to try driving home when the cable snapped .. but I figured rush hour in Maidenhead wasn't the time to try and learn clutchless changes! I kept a spare cable after that, though (the pedal segment used to chew through them - a known design flaw).. anyway, I should stop dragging the thread off topic!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hockley ,Essex
    Age
    58
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Had it not been rush hour, I might have been temped to try driving home when the cable snapped .. but I figured rush hour in Maidenhead wasn't the time to try and learn clutchless changes! I kept a spare cable after that, though (the pedal segment used to chew through them - a known design flaw).. anyway, I should stop dragging the thread off topic!
    It's all in the timing .

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hockley ,Essex
    Age
    58
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    It's all in the timing .
    Appologies for dragging the thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •