Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cosworth BOB V6 suitability

Hi
    Has anyone fitted a Cosworth BOB V6 to a Pilgrim or Viper Cobra. I have a Fiero chassis and I am planning on fitting a BOB with an MT75 gearbox.
    I'm wondering if there are issues with the location of the Gear shift level & how close to the front bulkhead the engine can be mounted. There are bits & bobs on the rear of the engine as well as the offset head on the left side that might limit the location of the engine in the engine bay? Anyone have photos of their setup? I haven't purchased the engine yet, just trying to make sure it will work.
    Many thanks

Your choice what you fit, and all sorts of engines have been fitted to Pilgrims over the years.
    If its similar to a Ford Cologne or Essex V6 then unlikely you will have a major issue, although you might need to tweak the gear stick hole slightly to ensure all gears will engage.

However, the world has moved on since the '80s and '90s, and you'll pay a heavy price (~30%+ loss) when you want to sell a cobra replica with a V6 vs a V8.
    Even if you are thinking 'she's a keeper', circumstances/interest/attitudes invariably change.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

There's a few Cobras around with BOA, I've vague recollection of one with a BOB. I changed from a cologne to a BOA then a few years later to RV8.

My advice (FWIW) is go towards a V8, for the reasons Kev says. Also the amount of work work needed to change to a V8 won't be much different (IMO) than a BOB.

The real clincher for me was that there weren't many BOAs made (and I suspect that the same is true of BOBs). Spare parts were a real problem (I had some bad luck with BOAs breaking) which is why I went down the route of another costly engine change.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Thanks for the advise. Rover engines are hard to source over here and fairly expensive.

Sounds like you need to to talk to Jim at http://www.jrv8.co.uk/
    Jim's based in Northern Ireland.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

What Kev says - no idea about post-Brexit tarrifs though.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

[COLOR=rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.701961)]Thanks Guys..Just checked out the website. Rover V8 Standard package with performance camshaft £5875.00, + £ this & + £ that since Brexit.. A little more than I had budgeted to spend for an engine & gearbox.....[/COLOR]

Brian ,

These are prices on our website are for fully rebuilt engines and gearboxes and include all taxes. If you would like to consider a cheaper V8 option , I have a SBC engine and 5 speed B/W gearbox for sale that came out of a Z28 Camaro. Engine and gearbox , complete with all ancillaries and taken from a running vehicle . Asking price is £1250.00
    Regards
    Jim

Sounds like a bargain Jim.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Thanks Jim,
    I'll give you a call. Can you PM me your number & let me know when it suits you best to take a call.
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast