Thread: Guages

Guages

Hi all,

just starting to look at a set of gauges and wondered what the general consensus was on brand etc. Im looking at the standard set of Cobra gauges Speedo, Rev, Oil & water Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel & volts and possibly a clock.

I've been looking at the GPS speedo's and wondered if they were any good or are IVA friendly even, I see that speedhut and smiths do them. I have a T56 so have options there but wanted an easy life!

Also, for the oil pressure gauge I see there are mixed views on whether it should be a mechanical or electrical connection.

Im at the point where I've got the engine in the chassis and am keen to start it so needed the at least some of the gauges for the run.

As always, any thoughts, advices, concerns etc....always welcome.

Thanks,

You won't be able to pass the IVA using GPS speedo's. From what i understand they don't work on a rolling road.
    Otherwise, I'm using the Smiths Cobra gauges with the IVA friendly bezel.

Cheers,
    Mark

Hi,
    I am using Smiths gauges and have the speedo connection direct from my tk0600 gearbox instead of having to fit a bracket next to diff with magnets.
    All IVA friendly bezels.
    www.russhowell.com for pics

I'm also using Smiths Classic gauges.
    One tip though, if you go down the electrical oil pressure gauge route get the sender from whoever you get the gauges from..

I've got Smiths mechanicals.
    If I was doing it again I would use the full sweep stepper motor gauges for the instruments to save on needing a mechanical pipe connection to the dash, but with Smiths full sweep clocks faces for originality.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I use Stewart-Warner gauges as they came standard with my kit. Smith's were an expensive option. The S-W gauges (ironically the "Deluxe" series) havn't turned out to be all that satisfactory. The oil temperature gauge sticks until the temp gets high enough and then pops up and will then read correctly. It also has a very high range, so much of the gauge isn't used. The tach eventually got bouncy, but some working back and forth of the 4-6-8 cylinder switch helped. The interior lighting of the gauges all seem very different with some not very bright compared to others and some having a bluish tinge to them. The fuel gauge is also very bouncy (as the fuel sloshes in the tank), but indicates well enough it's not really a problem.

OK, so maybe don't use them, but I really wanted to post to mention the clock. I did investigate a matching clock and S-W did make one, but is no longer available, so whatever you decide on, make sure they have a matching clock before buying a standard set (i.e. with no clock).

Clock: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SWW-82783
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Thanks all,

Looks like it'll probably be Smiths in that case....defo not SW lol!

Thanks

I got all mine from Speedhut. Great gauges and good website. Good price. Once you choose your first gauge and customise it how you want, needle colour backlight colour etc etc, then when you choose another gauge the customisation automatically carries over to all gauges. They were cheaper than Smiths as I remember too.(even after import duty and VAT). You can't have a GPS speedo. I'm pretty sure they are currently not permitted in the UK. Certainly wont pass IVA.

Call Jon at DigitalSpeedos.co.uk
    Tell him that Kev Davies sent you, he'll be able able to sort you out with a set of Smiths and senders.
    All at the best possible price.
    https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    I've got Smiths mechanicals.
    If I was doing it again I would use the full sweep stepper motor gauges for the instruments to save on needing a mechanical pipe connection to the dash, but with Smiths full sweep clocks faces for originality.
    I have the old Smiths dinosaurs on my SR that have been as good as gold for the the last 20 odd years
    and I am now touching wood as I am writing this .
    The oil pressure gauge is driven from a sender unit near the oil pump/filter assembly so no
    oil running directly to the gauge .
    The other thing is I am just using a volt meter and not using an ammeter,
    I personally don't think they are essential with the modern day alternators, if you were
    using the old Dynamo systems then the ammeter would be useful .
    If the o p was to use an ammeter then needs to be carefull due to all the current that
    runs through it, except the starting circuit of course .
    Chris.