Considering buy a Dax 427

Well lads, im Mark. As the title suggests im going to view a Dax 427.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-...x-427/25416473

Im have a mechanical background and currently have an 05 Lotus Elise but i am very unfamiliar with the Cobra, Was wondering if some of ye could please give me a few pointers to keep an eye out for while viewing and for example how a car built in 2016 can have classic road tax and insurance?!

Many thanks in advance!

Not sure on the ruling in Southern Ireland . Was it built and IVA registered in the U.K. ? It could have been registered as using second hand donar parts and an age related engine.
    The valuation is a bit optimistic for a Rover engine Dax. IMO .

Nice looking car but very over priced for a rover powered car.

I know of a couple Chevy powered AKs that could be had for the same, if not a bit less money and all correctly registered in the U.K.

A few things to bear in mind is the service and back up from the kit manufacturer when it comes to problems and spare parts. Do some research here. No good buying a car that can’t be fixed when the time comes. Most of us want quick results to be able to enjoy our cars, and not to put the phone down on a telephone that doesn’t answer.
    AK customer service is right up there. Very helpful even to those who don’t have an AK.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Cool

Dax is the best looking car ( I’m biased mind you)
    Bit heavy on the price but they are fairly simple to work on and the rover engine will give you enough thrills until you decide you need to upgrade.
    Stick the car on a lift and check underneath check the sump for dents check the tyres for tread ( they can be pricey).
    Look at the oil - clean ?
    You know the drill - look closely at the build standard - is it top quality ?
    Check the V5 ( or equivalent) is it correctly registered? - any doubt - walk away
    Good luck !
    CHRIS C - Maisie (DB No 46 )

Many thanks to each of you, very valuable information. I only spoke briefly with the owner and i thought he said it had a Chevy engine if that is possible? My biggest issue is that post Brexit it is nigh on impossible to financially justify importing a U.K car to Southern Ireland . E.G a £40K Cobra would now cost me approximately £63stg road legal in Ireland! I really appreciate all of your advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
    Many thanks to each of you, very valuable information. I only spoke briefly with the owner and i thought he said it had a Chevy engine if that is possible? My biggest issue is that post Brexit it is nigh on impossible to financially justify importing a U.K car to Southern Ireland . E.G a £40K Cobra would now cost me approximately £63stg road legal in Ireland! I really appreciate all of your advice
    Chevy engines are extremely common in these cars. Its a nice looking car but I don't like the way the ad is written. He mentions carbs, as in plural when there is only one. Everything is super rare when in fact they are not. Nice looking engine bay, rocker covers are a very nice upgrade from the standard Rover items.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

As said nice looking car.
    Appears to be well put together.
    BUT! that is not a Chevy engine.
    At 3.5l it has to be a Rover.
    There's plenty of other examples out there for sale that maybe better and more accurately described.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Quote Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
    That is def a Rover engine in the pic - the Chevy dizzy would be at the rear of the engine.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

No he does state as 3.5 RV build. Rover.
    "3.5 liter aluminium V8 rebuilt by JRV8.com; peformance camshaft, Edelbrock Carbs, Custom