Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    1,160
    Please keep posting on the mx5 gearbox rv8 sumo combination….

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Cheshire
    Age
    52
    Posts
    422
    Last edited by skinnymathew; 20-06-21 at 08:06 PM.
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bressingham
    Posts
    1,369
    http://ttvracing.com/?s=Rover+v8

    I use these folk.
    I know this may not be what you need but may be a useful link for information.
    They also do clutch covers as well.


    A
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Cheshire
    Age
    52
    Posts
    422
    Just to close this query down:

    Two ebay sellers were kind enough to measure the centre-to-centre distance between two of the locating pins on the Rover V8 SD1/2WD flywheels they are selling. They both reported 235mm, which is close enough to my own flywheel measurement to suggest that I've got two incorrect clutch covers.

    As a result, I might go ahead and buy the clutch kit for the USA Ford Probe 2.0 (1993-1998 ), which is the only kit I can find that has a reasonable friction disk diameter, uses the same spline pattern as the MX5 but has a flat-faced flywheel like the Rover V8, and get my flywheel drilled for that...
    Kittihawk: Pilgrim Sumo MK3 built '93/'94 with 2.1L Stage 2 Pinto and Ford Type 9 5-Speed Gearbox

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    741
    I seem to recall RPI were playing about mating MX5/RX8 gearboxes to the RV8. Any idea what they used clutch wise?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northampton
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,840
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnymathew View Post
    As a result, I might go ahead and buy the clutch kit for the USA Ford Probe 2.0 (1993-1998 ), which is the only kit I can find that has a reasonable friction disk diameter, uses the same spline pattern as the MX5 but has a flat-faced flywheel like the Rover V8, and get my flywheel drilled for that...
    Dumb question time: Could you use the Probe friction disc and RV8 clutch cover, thereby getting the right spline count and not needing to get the flywheel machined to suit the new cover?

    Not that you have a matching cover, but if you did..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Dumb question time: Could you use the Probe friction disc and RV8 clutch cover, thereby getting the right spline count and not needing to get the flywheel machined to suit the new cover?

    Not that you have a matching cover, but if you did..
    my thoughts too. Modify as little as possible. Plate thickness would have to be taken into account of course.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Cheshire
    Age
    52
    Posts
    422
    As you say, I don't have a cover that matches the flywheel anyway, but I'm thinking of the Probe (and some Mazdas) clutch kit because it's just that, a kit.

    If the clutch wears out it's cheaper to use a single kit than a collection of parts. Plus, the Probe kit is £50, which is a lot cheaper than the SD1 kit.

    Yes, I have to modify the flywheel but I only need to do that once (and it could use a skim anyway).

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Cheshire
    Age
    52
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    I seem to recall RPI were playing about mating MX5/RX8 gearboxes to the RV8. Any idea what they used clutch wise?
    They initially claimed it was the OEM clutch, so it was easy to replace if it wore out, but the flywheel didn't need to be modified, so I asked them what it was as I couldn't find one that would be big enough to bolt up to an unmodified flywheel. They said they were mistaken and that it's a custom clutch.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnymathew View Post
    They initially claimed it was the OEM clutch, so it was easy to replace if it wore out, but the flywheel didn't need to be modified, so I asked them what it was as I couldn't find one that would be big enough to bolt up to an unmodified flywheel. They said they were mistaken and that it's a custom clutch.
    Sounds about right for RPI!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •