Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hood

hood

hi all
    my hood balloons up when it is fitted when travelling at speed, what if anything have people done to stop this from happening. i am thinking of fitting 2/3 strengtheners into the inside of the hood that i can remove when folding up the hood when putting it back into the boot, another option is to have a vent fitted into hood to allow the air to escape. any thoughts guys
    regards graham

Slow down is the obvious but dull answer!

I doubt a vent would do anything (other than leak), you don’t have a pressurised cabin pushing the roof up, you have a low pressure area above the hood sucking it up.

Strengtheners might work but would need “fixing” to the hood material somehow.

Rgds
    Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

i was thinking of having them sown into hood in a channel but be able to pull them out so i can still fold hood up to put back in boot

As said, it is the faster air travelling over the top that causes a reduction of pressure thus lifting the hood just as an aircraft wing works.

I have covered nearly 50,000 miles in my 289 and very little of that has been with the hood fitted. It has never bothered me that it lifts by a small amount, but yours might be a looser fit and rise more. Perhaps you need to look and see if it is tight enough when fitted.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

Mine has a strip sewn horizontally across the roof on the inside that wraps around the hood bow and is secured with Velcro along its length. It helps but it’s far from perfect. As Jim and Clive have said, ye canna change the laws of physics.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

i was thinking of fitting 2 or 3 strengtheners from front to back that i can remove so i can store in boot as normal
    Last edited by bw41059; 24-06-21 at 10:38 AM.

I would say it's perfectly normal just drive a little bit slower if it really bothers you.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

tinka on the rare occasion i find myself driving on the motorway with the hood on i would like to drive at 70mph and not have to reduce my speed to 50ish hence my original question how can i stop the hood from ballooning i dont want to travel any faster than 70 especially if its raining and heavy traffic. i was looking for ideas and solutions

Difficult one. My only idea on this would be to install a Naca duct somewhere, which would act like a venturi as the outside air passes over it, drawing cabin air out of the car and reducing the differential between ouside and in. I don't know how effective it would be, or where to mount it, plus it may get noisy and draughty.
    Adding stiffeners is the other way, but not an easy fix.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

hi bannon i was thinking along those lines as well and install it at the rear to allow air from inside to escape cus am sure air is entering the cockpit via the gaps around sidescreens etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast