Recommendations for P700 with LED bulb?

I have read the many threads about LED bulbs but can anyone recommend a combination of P700 or PL700 lights with a particular LED bulb? I would prefer a curb dip rather than just up and down forwards and is this an issue with the optics of the older style lights.
    Is there any problem about MOT and LED bulbs in non-LED designed lights as I believe this point was raised in a previous thread?

Thanks for any advice

Martin

Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

1. About headlamp conversions
    Section 4.1.4 of the current MOT inspection manuals for both motorcycles and cars and passenger vehicles states ‘Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.’

2. Changes to current rules
    From 22 March 2021, we’re changing these rules so that not all motorcycles and vehicles will fail the MOT test if their halogen headlamp units have been converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs.

Class 1 and 2 motorcycles
    Class 1 and 2 motorcycles must not be failed for the defect ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’.

Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test and headlamp aim.

The motorcycle inspection manual will be updated shortly, and the ability to select the defect within the MOT testing service will be removed.

Class 3,4,5 and 7 vehicles
    For class 3,4,5 and 7 vehicles, the defect ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ only applies to vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986.

Should a vehicle be presented for an MOT test with conversions before 1 April 1986 they must not be failed with immediate effect.

Vehicles presented with converted halogen headlamp units first used on or after 1 April 1986 will continue to be failed.

Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test and headlamp aim.

The cars and passenger vehicles inspection manual will be updated shortly.

Contents
    Print this page
    Is this page useful? Yesthis page is useful Nothis page is not useful Report a problem with this page

It would appear to me that most of us will have a fail situation on our hands, if your vehicle was registered post 1 April 1986.
    Last edited by kdavies3; 24-06-21 at 08:14 AM.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

The P700 is NOT asymmetric and therefore only dips up and down, it does not dip to the left. It is also not period correct for a Cobra. I would say that this is almost certain to cause dazzling to other people. The PL700 is asymmetric, I.e it dips to the left and is period correct for a Cobra.

I looked into the difference between the P700 and PL700 dip patterns and as you say the PL700 is directional so you have to make sure they are for right hand drive vehicle. There is a big cost difference between the two.
    Both will pass the MOT but you will have a better illuminated area of the left hand side of the road with the PL700.

There was a long discussion on a previous thread.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53442
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

Thanks for the comments and very useful information. I think the position can be summarised as follows:

• The PL700 (asymmetric) seems to be the one I want as a right hand drive version will allow a curb dip.
    • Putting an LED bulb into a PL700 or P700 unit runs the risk of an MOT fail……my car was first registered in 2002 so not quite out of MOT test requirements.

But there are a couple of additional questions I have from reading other threads:

1. Is there a problem using a PL700 with an LED bulb as I think I understood that the design does not lend itself to the characteristics of an LED over a halogen bulb? Something to do with a bar?
    2. LED bulbs have come on hugely and Classic Car LEDs reckon they have an LED with a beam pattern of a halogen H4 (Latest LED Headlights H4 Z-ES Chips HiLo Beam 472 475 P43T Excellent Beam Pattern – Classic Car LEDs Ltd}. Has anyone tried this, or other LED bulbs, with a PL700 light? Forgetting potential MOT issues for now!

Thanks again everyone. You just cannot find this practical information anywhere!
    Martin

Martin, your inbox is full, if you delete some stuff I will send you more to fill it up again!

OK, inbox now tidied up.....thanks James.