Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to Watch

Quote Originally Posted by philbrad73 View Post
    I thought you were collecting FE's Aaron������
    Those too they live in the garage, though; the computers live in my office
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

My first was a Sinclair ZX81 with a 16k ram pack, if you looked at the ram pack funny it all crashed😫. I'm trying to give up buying parts I then decide not to fit and fit something else.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    A 48k Spectrum was my (our, family!) first computer - I have fond memories of its rubber keys (aka the "dead flesh keys")! If you're ever in the Cambridge area I can highly recommend a visit to The Centre for Computing History - http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/ -
    There's something similar at Bletchley park [url]https://www.tnmoc.org/[url] I was pleased to see a fully functioning BBC model B there.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    I have a similar problem with guitars. Got my eye on a nice USA Fender Tele at the moment.
    If it floats your boat get it, that's my take on the subject.
    Life is not a rehearsal, that's what I tell the wife anyway.
    Chris.

I like portable heaters...
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter29 View Post
    There's something similar at Bletchley park [url]https://www.tnmoc.org/[url] I was pleased to see a fully functioning BBC model B there.
    Ah yes - we visited Bletchley for the first time last year during the 'relaxations'; I'd definitely like to go back again, it's a wonderful day out! The museum in Cambs has an entire "1980s classroom" filled with Beebs, which took me back to.. well, 'my' 1980s classroom!
    My DeDion build diary..

Ah yes - we visited Bletchley for the first time last year during the 'relaxations'; I'd definitely like to go back again, it's a wonderful day out! The museum in Cambs has an entire "1980s classroom" filled with Beebs, which took me back to.. well, 'my' 1980s classroom!
    You mentioned 1980's classroom, my classroom in the mid 70's had all of the disused central
    computer system from Chelmford, their was barely enough room for us to fit in the classroom !
    I can't remember whether it was used or not but would have thought that the school would
    have had to contact the national grid before firing it up .
    I think a lot of this was to do with our maths teacher who at the time had a fettish for this
    kind of stuff, probably Hollerith. I did as a young child actually witness my mum working on
    one of those type machines at Southend airport, quite noisy, lots of switches and lights !
    Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    If it floats your boat get it, that's my take on the subject.
    Life is not a rehearsal, that's what I tell the wife anyway.
    Chris.

Cheers Chris, you've almost made up my mind.
    Funny thing is I find guitar's similar to Cobras in a way. When they're in the right shade of blue I find it very hard to refuse them.

Then there's motorcycle of course, same issue!

So from what I gather ..

.. one day we will all be on an episode of Hoarders?

I think my Fiancée would pitch a fit if another guitar turned up .. she's always telling me to sell the one I have, but I have a sentimental attachment to it as I bought it when I was at school, played in a "band", did school concerts etc. Happy memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    You mentioned 1980's classroom, my classroom in the mid 70's had all of the disused central
    computer system from Chelmford, their was barely enough room for us to fit in the classroom !
    I can't remember whether it was used or not but would have thought that the school would
    have had to contact the national grid before firing it up .
    I think a lot of this was to do with our maths teacher who at the time had a fettish for this
    kind of stuff, probably Hollerith. I did as a young child actually witness my mum working on
    one of those type machines at Southend airport, quite noisy, lots of switches and lights !
    Chris.
    Ah yes - when I was at school the IT lab was also run by the maths teacher; I believe that's changed these days but for whatever reason that seemed to be the way it was! The biggest piece of equipment we had was a Research Machines RM380Z sitting in the corner (a huge 19" rack-mount affair: http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/d...-(Black-Case)/) which was never, ever powered on. Nobody even knew what it did, if anything, ever.. these days I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one!
    My DeDion build diary..

.... we had was a Research Machines RM380Z sitting in the corner
    We had one of those at school, as far as I could work out it was a big black box with a white square illuminated switch on the front that did very little. I think it would have been about 1978..

I still have some 5 1/4" floppy discs with my old Elite history on them if I ever find a functional model B again....
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12