Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Time to Watch

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    986

    Time to Watch

    As we all know, the past year and a half hasn't been exactly conducive to wanton disregard for spare time. Lockdowns meant no going out to eat, no socializing and many other things like that. Naturally I've speant an exhorbitant amount of time surfing the net... and up pop adverts showing me things I never knew I wanted until I saw them!

    I got interested in watches and the first thing I knew, I was compiling a collection. I did make rules. A max of $150 for instance. I do admit to having two a bit over that, but since a few were less than $30, I didn't worry about it. On average, I would guess about $70 each. So a cheap watch collection.



    Next thing I knew I needed a watch case, so I bought one from E-bay for about $60. It would hold 24 and I told myself I would stop buying watches when I reached 24.... well, OK, 25; 24 in the case and one to wear. All in all, I have a few more, but they're old el-cheapo's for the most part, which isn't saying much as my new collection is pretty cheap, but I like them. It's about even with automatics and quartz.



    There's one or two that turned out a bit "not-to-my-liking" so I may sell them, or more likely give them away, but for now I've broken the spending spree and calming down.

    So... anybody want to buy a watch? LOL



    ...and the moral of this story is to be careful what you do with your spare time....
    John

    “A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hockley ,Essex
    Age
    58
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggbert View Post
    As we all know, the past year and a half hasn't been exactly conducive to wanton disregard for spare time. Lockdowns meant no going out to eat, no socializing and many other things like that. Naturally I've speant an exhorbitant amount of time surfing the net... and up pop adverts showing me things I never knew I wanted until I saw them!

    I got interested in watches and the first thing I knew, I was compiling a collection. I did make rules. A max of $150 for instance. I do admit to having two a bit over that, but since a few were less than $30, I didn't worry about it. On average, I would guess about $70 each. So a cheap watch collection.



    Next thing I knew I needed a watch case, so I bought one from E-bay for about $60. It would hold 24 and I told myself I would stop buying watches when I reached 24.... well, OK, 25; 24 in the case and one to wear. All in all, I have a few more, but they're old el-cheapo's for the most part, which isn't saying much as my new collection is pretty cheap, but I like them. It's about even with automatics and quartz.



    There's one or two that turned out a bit "not-to-my-liking" so I may sell them, or more likely give them away, but for now I've broken the spending spree and calming down.

    So... anybody want to buy a watch? LOL



    ...and the moral of this story is to be careful what you do with your spare time....
    I've had a similar issue with my old Victory Industries slot cars (late 50's early 60's stuff).
    It all started with rebuilding my original V I P set that has a shark nose Ferrari and a B R M
    stove pipe, then I started looking for old bits and now have 14 of the old vip's !
    It will probably be my daughters job to get ride of all my old junk along with the cob .
    A bit of advise with watches, you probably already know, that is without mentioning
    any proper top end makes, if you buy good second hand ones you will not lose money.
    Something that can be handed on and is in my opinion better than gold because
    you will get the pleasure of using them .
    Chris.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northampton
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,840
    You've got to be careful with the watches, John.. a friend of mine started collecting..

    I think he's up to 500 or so now? Many of which with four (and a few five!) figure price tags 😳 no idea where he gets his money, I assume he's been a gigolo this whole time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    986
    The one thing I believe about watches is that they not be valuable. Watches get broken, stolen or lost. Hence my low limit on a purchase. None of my watches will ever go up in value. Indeed almost half are like that ship from the orient:



    To be fair, some Chinese watches have very good movements, like my Parnis Fleiger with its Seagull movement.

    Interestingly I did discover a new term that some of my watches come under; a “homage watch”. Basically this means similar to, but not identical to a well known and expensive watch. So it doesn’t mean “fake”. Maybe we should refer to our cars as “Homage Cobras”…

    The Fleiger is one and another one is obviously similar to a Corum Bubble Watch. My triangular watch turned out to be styled after a Ferrari watch and of course there’s my Vasco Da Gama watch of which one of the original limited edition by Montblanc cost around $400K.

    I think favourite is my Russian Vostok. Around $100 it is an amazing piece of work and has a large fan base.

    Of course maybe I could become a gigolo and afford higher end watches….

    Certainly I suffer the odd time from a fixation that turns to a purchasing addiction on an item. I did that with my slot car collection quite a few years back and although there are still two cars I’d like to buy (the Scalextric James Bond DB5 and their recently released 1966 Batmobile), I’m no longer held hostage to that addiction.



    I also have a small collection of figurines.... mostly women and many nude. They're scattered around the house, so I didn't round them up for a picture.

    Oh, also a small collection of 1:18 automobiles which started when I was given a model Cobra as a gift.
    John

    “A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northampton
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,840
    Collecting things and fixation on them .. speaking of that. There's a collection of vintage (modern vintage, I suppose!) computers sitting behind me; Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, Amiga 1500, Spectrum +3, Sinclair QL, plus some Amiga accessories and expansions. Oh, and a CRT monitor (Commodore 1804S). It all started with "I'll pick up that £50 Amiga to re-live my youth.."

    Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, isn't it.. it's also damned expensive, these days!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hockley ,Essex
    Age
    58
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Collecting things and fixation on them .. speaking of that. There's a collection of vintage (modern vintage, I suppose!) computers sitting behind me; Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, Amiga 1500, Spectrum +3, Sinclair QL, plus some Amiga accessories and expansions. Oh, and a CRT monitor (Commodore 1804S). It all started with "I'll pick up that £50 Amiga to re-live my youth.."

    Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, isn't it.. it's also damned expensive, these days!
    I took my old fully working 48k Spectrum, yes 48K to the tip about 10 years ago how stupid of me.
    They are a nostalgia thing but if you ever used any of the computers back then, they actually gave
    you a good insite to how the programming worked. Some will remember the basic programs that you
    could write and save on cassette tape or the floppy disc .
    It would usually take you whole evening to get a ball to go across you t v and sometimes
    everything that you had spent hours on did'nt always load !
    The games that you could get hold of then in my opinion were fantastic, that was over fourty
    years ago !
    Sorry that this doesn't have much to do with Cobras apart from the replica era that is.
    Chris.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northampton
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,840
    A 48k Spectrum was my (our, family!) first computer - I have fond memories of its rubber keys (aka the "dead flesh keys")! If you're ever in the Cambridge area I can highly recommend a visit to The Centre for Computing History - http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/ - it is full of computers from the 70s through to 90s (and likely early 00s) and they are, by and large, powered up and working to be used, played with and experimented on. Makes for a really good afternoon out and it's only £8 to get in.

    Oh and yes - computers of that era are precisely why & how I ended up with the career I did, because they made me understand the underlying nuts & bolts BASIC on the Spectrum followed by C and assembly language on the Amiga, well before I ever had a job!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    Some will remember the basic programs that you
    could write and save on cassette tape or the floppy disc .
    I am completely computer illiterate, that's why I like the older cars. But one thing stuck in my head during computer studies in the '80's. Beginners All purpose Symbolic Instruction Code! BASIC. Sad I know but that always stuck with me.
    David.

    Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

    Wessex region caretaker rep.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    743
    I have a similar problem with guitars. Got my eye on a nice USA Fender Tele at the moment.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    liverpool
    Age
    47
    Posts
    619
    I thought you were collecting FE's Aaron😉

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •